The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CRASH and Data Loss Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Last evening I was inputting data in a multi-step project (about 15 steps). I clicked "Done" and all but the first step disappeared. I looked at a similar project to see if I could copy and paste parts of it to more quickly redo what had been lost - but that one now only had the first step, too!

I opened a long (45 steps) Project to see if it was OK and it only had the first action (which was the beginning of an action group) and the first child action! All other steps were completely GONE!!!

I then closed out of the app for fear of it syncing with the OmniFocus Cloud, if it hadn't already. I opened my iPhone app and everything was intact. Quickly closed it before syncing to save the data.

I tried to call Support, but it was Friday after closing so I'm stuck until Monday.

Today I figured out how to shut the syncing off on the iPad. I did but I'm not sure whether it synced or not before I did so. I looked around in the app and found I have lost ALL data except for top level Project names and maybe the first step. Folders are completely gone along with all the data that was in them!!!

I had so much business and personal info in this app. I really, really liked this app...

I'm using a 64gig iPad 2 bought new November 2011. I've had no problem with it or other apps.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like a sequential project with only Available actions being shown. Tap on the eyeball icon and select Remaining to see all of the incomplete tasks.

I've never seen OmniFocus for iPad lose any data, and I've been an intensive (some would say abusive) user of it from the beginning. It will sometimes hide data, but adjusting the view settings brings the missing data out of hiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Sounds like a sequential project with only Available actions being shown. Tap on the eyeball icon and select Remaining to see all of the incomplete tasks.

I've never seen OmniFocus for iPad lose any data, and I've been an intensive (some would say abusive) user of it from the beginning. It will sometimes hide data, but adjusting the view settings brings the missing data out of hiding.

Thank you so much! I am completely embarrassed that I didn't figure that out myself!!! Everything is there!!! What a relief!

By the way, I have used your instructions on how to "create a template" from another post. It works beautifully (even though I think OF should have a "save as Template" option).

Thanks again!

I opened Omnifocus today and all my data was gone. Hours and hours of work just wiped. I checked the eyeball all views and no data! Forecast had nothing of the over 50 entries I had. Just bought it for the iPad a few days ago. Am already regretting it but I was so happy with it I went and bought Omnigraffle also now I regret that too.

Never in my many years on pc or iOS have I ever had all my data deleted like this without even so much as a warning or asking my permission first. It's a bug definitely. Omnifocus is supposed to preserve data not wipe it!! Everything lost. All my hours and hours of hard work. I can't believe this. All that was left there was as if the app had never been used with tuition help on how to use it. All else was gone. I didnt reset anything. Just everything disappeared.

I don't expect to get a resolution on this matter as I still haven't heard from them and now I am just too upset. I need an app like this badly but I need reliability not all my data deleted without warning. Very, very unhappy about this and don't know what to do. The data's gone for good and there's nothing anyone can do. I read everywhere this was supposed to be reliable but now I'm finding other people have had this happen also not just the view button but all data wiped!!

Last edited by worldcitizen1919; 2012-06-04 at 10:42 AM..

Call them up, 800-315-OMNI or 206-523-4152. They'll help you recover your data. You can also make a request for a refund if you think the software isn't for you, provided you're within 30 days of purchase.

I was devasted when I thought I lost all my data!!! Turned out it was my error!!! But I was convinced it was the app!!!

My suggestion would be to not panic and post your problem as its own new thread. The person who answered me (above) is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The developers did contact me (after the weekend). Use their "Urgent" email address... It's in the support area.

I have had no more problems. And I really do love this app!

Good luck!!!

worldcitizen1919, have you gotten in touch with a Support Ninja yet? 800 315-6664 or +1 206-523-4152 during Pacific Time business hours, or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com

If you were syncing, there's a very very good chance your data's still retrievable somehow. Even if not, it may still be somewhere.