The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New to Omnifocus, some questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
If I understand what you are trying to do, perhaps a solution is as follows:

* create a Context called Focused or Blocked or Contiguous or ...
* put all tasks that have to be done in such a manner in this context
* create a Project setup as follows:

My Project (context - Focused, due - due date, sequential)
- start it (context - Focused, due - start date)
- Intermediate Group (parallel or sequential)
-- task A (context - Focused)
-- task B (context - Focused)
- finish it (context - Focused, due - due date)

--
JJW
Thanks again!

What is a intermediate group? I'm not a native speaker.. :)

@ pjb
As I said before for tasks like that I will use Reminder on iOS 5.. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasax View Post
What is a intermediate group? I'm not a native speaker.. :)
It is a set of tasks that can be grouped together because, when completed, they meet some "intermediate" (in between) milestone on the way to finishing the entire project. It is labeled that way just to indicate that it happens somewhere during the work on the project ("in between" everything else that is to be done). You could just as easily call that group "First Draft Report" or "Mailing List Assembly" or "Collect the Tools" or ...

One point of doing it this way is that, even though your entire project is sequential (each task should not start until the one before it is complete), within that sequential set of tasks you can have an "intermediate" group of tasks that can be done in parallel (each task can be done whenever you want when that particular milestone is next in line).

Being able to mix parallel and sequential groupings in this way is one of the powers that OF has over Things. It may take a bit of time to understand, meaning that you should play around until you find the best way to make this feature work for you.

--
JJW

Ok. Thanks for the explantation. That is really a good way! :)

How do I create a group on the iPad? There is no option for that or I'm wrong? Didn't see anything..

If it works like the iPod then ...

* create three tasks in a Project
Test Project
- My First Group
- Task A
- Task B
* now select Task A
* (#) in this screen, at the bottom, you should see an option to move the task to a different location -- on the iPod, it is a folder with a downward pointing arrow -- select this
* here, you can move the task to be "inside" another object -- move it to be inside My First Group
* return to the project screen and repeat for Task B

Now, return to the project screen where all you should see is My First Group. Select Edit and select My First Group. You can set the group to be parallel or sequential.

(#) Someone can confirm what the exact selection is for the iPad here.

--
JJW

You're great!

On iPhone it is working like that.

On iPad the task opens, then click on move and select the task (i.e. the group).

Last edited by brasax; 2011-11-10 at 05:36 AM..