The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Outline inheritance Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Let's say in one Project called READING I have a top-level-item (TLI) called Books, and another called Articles. Under Books, indented, are the names of ten books I need to get through (someday), and indented under Articles are ten articles. I will flag one book and two articles, as that's what I want to do today.

When I switch to a Perspective that shows only flagged items, I see the flagged book and articles, but the TLIs don't show up. So I get, for example:

"Atonement"
"Hearing for new FCC Chairman"
"Cronkite Legacy"

instead of:

BOOKS
"Atonement"

ARTICLES
"Hearing for new FCC Chairman"
"Cronkite Legacy"

I know I could flag the TLIs, but then every book and article under them will appear, and that's not what I want. Is there are any way to cause a parent item to show up in the flagged view if the child item is flagged?

Nope. But what you can do is make books and articles both projects, maybe inside a reading folder, and then group by project in context mode.

The issue here is that the Flagged view is a context mode view, where only individual actions are shown. Action group headers and project headers are not shown unless you are in a project/planning mode view. I think many people use the flags to indicate "priority" or "this needs to get done first" and from there you quickly get to a workflow that has you do everything with a due date of today, then everything that is flagged, and the most natural way to look for and do the flagged items will be in context mode.

You could look for flagged items in the project mode view by selecting Flagged as the last item on the view bar. If you prefer that, you can set up your own Flagged perspective and replace the Omni-provided one in the toolbar with yours.