The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Email Links failing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using Mountain Lion, Apple Mail and two email accounts hosted on Exchange servers. Using Mail allows me enormous power from with AppleScript to work with the emails etc. Apps such as Postbox has limited AppleScript usage and I then need to connect using IMAP.

My problem with my setup is with Sent emails clipped to OmniFocus, or indeed Forwarded to Mail Drop with the 'message id' pasted into the email. Selecting the 'Original Message' link brings up the error message shown in the attached file.

This behaviour is made worse by the fact that it does not always happen and selecting opens up the email!

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour and is there a cure!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error copy.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2726  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRHawkes View Post
I am using Mountain Lion, Apple Mail and two email accounts hosted on Exchange servers. Using Mail allows me enormous power from with AppleScript to work with the emails etc. Apps such as Postbox has limited AppleScript usage and I then need to connect using IMAP.

My problem with my setup is with Sent emails clipped to OmniFocus, or indeed Forwarded to Mail Drop with the 'message id' pasted into the email. Selecting the 'Original Message' link brings up the error message shown in the attached file.

This behaviour is made worse by the fact that it does not always happen and selecting opens up the email!

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour and is there a cure!?
Sent mails don't have proper headers. There are all kinds of things wrong with them.

Have you considered bcc'ing yourself on messages and just regularly emptying the "sent messages" items? I'd recommend that; it solves all sorts of issues, in all sorts of things other than OmniFocus.

Thank you; I was unaware of the header issue with Sent messages as thought that with the Message ID all would be fine!!

Unfortunately BCC is not an option as it is the link back to the email that is important.

PRH

I have been BCC'ing myself for years. I clip that email to OF and it finds it just fine. Try it and see if it actually solves your problem -- it's much simpler than looking for sent emails because it shows up right in your inbox ready to be processed (i.e., no two-bucket problem.)

Rick

The problem is I need the working link back to the email and BCC does not give this.

The work around, I have now found, is to use the id of the message and that works on an individual machine basis as it refers to the number given to an email by OSX itself.

The link provided by OF clipping on Inbox emails works fine across machines as it refers to the message iD which behaves a lot better than messages in the Sent folder!

PRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRHawkes View Post
The problem is I need the working link back to the email and BCC does not give this.

The work around, I have now found, is to use the id of the message and that works on an individual machine basis as it refers to the number given to an email by OSX itself.

The link provided by OF clipping on Inbox emails works fine across machines as it refers to the message iD which behaves a lot better than messages in the Sent folder!

PRH
What I'm saying is, if you clip the "inbox" message that was the message you bcc'd yourself on, all should work fine. I guess I'm missing something.

What you were missing, CatOne, is my failure to spot the benefits of your system!!

I was so convinced there had to be a way to code myself a resolution I failed to spot the simple brilliance of your idea!

Many thanks .... I am now a BCC convert.

PRH