The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.7 Sneaky Peeks now available. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What features were added as of 97021? I didnt notice any.

I often wonder about the virtue of selling licenses that last for a 'release' - such as from 5 to 6... Wouldn't it make more sense for your license to last '10-points'? For example, I've only just purchased my license (5.6 but I've got the 5.7 pre-release); in effect, I've purchased 3 'releases' (5.7 to 5.9) if I waited to release 6.0, my license would be valid right up to 6.9 - that's 10 'point' releases.

There's an incentive 'not' to buy. However, if my license carried me from 5.6 through to 6.5 (or whatever) it wouldn't matter to me when I shelled out, but Omni would get my money sooner...

However, on the subject of 5.6 to 5.7, I can't see any difference. Is there a list of revisions?

Many thanks - brilliant product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
What features were added as of 97021? I didnt notice any.
Many of the sneakypeeks don't have new features, just bug fixes or other minor changes. If the release notes don't say anything, then you probably won't notice anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogscape View Post
I often wonder about the virtue of selling licenses that last for a 'release' - such as from 5 to 6... Wouldn't it make more sense for your license to last '10-points'? For example, I've only just purchased my license (5.6 but I've got the 5.7 pre-release); in effect, I've purchased 3 'releases' (5.7 to 5.9) if I waited to release 6.0, my license would be valid right up to 6.9 - that's 10 'point' releases.

There's an incentive 'not' to buy. However, if my license carried me from 5.6 through to 6.5 (or whatever) it wouldn't matter to me when I shelled out, but Omni would get my money sooner...

However, on the subject of 5.6 to 5.7, I can't see any difference. Is there a list of revisions?

Many thanks - brilliant product!
There wasn't a 5.2, 5.3 or 5.4. Revision numbers are typically created based on the amount of changes between each. Plus you don't have any idea how long it will be until the next major revision comes out. I know some software companies have major releases every 10 months. That's really annoying. Some do it every 18, but it's been much longer for OW since version 5.

Also, until about a year ago OW was $30. So let's say that was halfway until the next release, then one still gets his money's worth.

OW 5.7 (SP1) seems very solid and stable. Really like the new icons. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCG View Post
OW 5.7 (SP1) seems very solid and stable. Really like the new icons. Thanks!
I agree RE stability, but the icons are terrible and the overall look is so ... Tiger-ish; it looks very out of place on a Leopard machine. The UI needs a major revamp, as does search. In addition, there are a number of outstanding little bugs, particularly in RSS support. Hopefully as it approaches beta, many of these will be resolved, as I'd love to adopt OW full-time. Until then, I'm on Safari pretty much full-time.

Last edited by hardcoreUFO; 2008-01-16 at 10:52 AM..

Quote:
I agree RE stability, but the icons are terrible and the overall look is so ... Tiger-ish; it looks very out of place on a Leopard machine. The UI needs a major revamp, as does search. In addition, there are a number of outstanding little bugs, particularly in RSS support. Hopefully as it approaches beta, many of these will be resolved, as I'd love to adopt OW full-time.
I agree with everything said here.

Quote:
I agree RE stability, but the icons are terrible and the overall look is so ... Tiger-ish; it looks very out of place on a Leopard machine. The UI needs a major revamp, as does search. In addition, there are a number of outstanding little bugs, particularly in RSS support. Hopefully as it approaches beta, many of these will be resolved, as I'd love to adopt OW full-time. Until then, I'm on Safari pretty much full-time.
While even with the problems I use OW full-time, I agree - the UI is in utterly dire need of an overhaul. It looks and feels very old, and the new icons are simply terrible.

I don't find the new icons so bad in Graphite on Leopard. Could use some work, but they're better than Mail, Safari and iCal. Too much wasted space in those, and they are too cluttered.

I'm finding myself drawn more and more to the proto theme on FF3B2....