The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish: Hide Groups with no visible Child Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Most of my projects have several levels of outlining. For example,
  • Administrivia
    • meetings
    • billing
  • Design
    • requirements
    • detailed design
  • Development
    • component A
      • part 1
        • one remaining task!
      • part 2
    • component B
  • Support
    • on-site
    • screen sharing
This organization is very helpful when the project includes a lot of detailed line items. But over time, empty groups present problems:
  1. The empty group looks like an atomic task. I've tried appending a colon to group names, but that's kinda subtle.
  2. The empty groups (no child lines) clutter the display when all I want to see is, "What's left to do?"
I can make the empty groups disappear by checking them off. But when I want to add a new task to an empty (now hidden) group, I have to View > Status Filter > Completed and scan thru potentially screens full of completed tasks.

A Show/Hide Empty Groups option would be great.

In the example shown above, Hide Empty Groups would show just "one remaining task!" and the three parent lines.

-- Ward

[submitted as formal feedback]

A kind Support Ninja responded to my formal feedback:

"We do have a request to have a way to filter for incomplete action groups with no uncompleted children. I’ve added your comments there. In the meantime, you can set an action group to auto-complete when all tasks are completed, and set that as the default in the "Data" pane of OmniFocus's Preferences."

That auto-complete preference saves a bit during task updating.

But the problem remains: when it's time to add a new sub-action, exposing all completed groups and actions can flood the list, making it hard to locate the right parent action group. Toggling the display of empty groups will quickly reveal the structure of the outline.

-- Ward

[submitted as formal feedback]

jen30,

Forum votes aren't counted. Use Help → Send Feedback within OF to have your vote added to the database.

Cheers,

Curt

Curt