The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visio import error Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to open a Visio .vsd file and get the following error.

The document “xxxx.vsd” could not be opened. No canvases were read from the Visio file

A google search did not yield anything useful. Any recommendations?

Do you know what version of visio created the file? I ask because Visio 2010 and Visio 2007, both use .VSD, but have big differences. So much so that a Visio 2010 VSD won't open correctly in Visio 2007 app.

I'd expect that if the VSD was created with Visio 2010, then importing it to OG's going to have problems.

One work around would be use Visio app to create a PDF, and then open it in Omnigraffle. If you don't actually have Visio, then install the Visio Viewer.

If you're having trouble importing a Visio file, best to drop us a line, attaching the file.

If you have access to Visio, try saving your file as a VDX (Visio XML Drawing) and importing that instead. You may get better results.

Thanks, PJP, Some of us can't send stuff, because it's behind the non-disclosure requirement, unless you're willing to sign an NDA?

watchdogfl did visio's xml format work?

Last edited by MatthewS; 2012-08-09 at 10:27 AM..

I will use the link provided to send a sample vsd file that I cannot open.