The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help - Drawing segmented circle. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I am attempting to draw a clock face where every 15 degrees is shown in a different colour. My approach is to draw a single segment and duplicate it 24 times but getting the segments aligned is difficult. Is there a better way?

best wishes
Simon

The alignment needn't be difficult.

Make sure Smart Alignment Guides is enabled.
Using the filled-sector tool, make a circular segment. (Holding shift while drawing ensures it's circular.)
Drag one corner handle to 0 degrees and the other to 15.
Duplicate the segment. Rotate the new segment by 15 degrees. (Geometry Inspector thumbwheel edit field). Snap the new segment to the original. The smart guides do the snapping and indicate when you're aligned in both dimensions.
Repeat till done.

Tedious, but not difficult. You can speed it up by grouping a few segments and then duplicating and aligning the groups.

John,

Thats brilliant! Although I've used OG for many years I have completely missed the "Adjustable Wedge". Up until now I have been subtracting rotated rectangles from circles to create wedges - which was a complete pain. The joy of your method and the "Adjustable Wedge" is that small groups e.g. 90degrees may be duplicated, rotated and added.

Thanks
Simon

And another thing....

If a wedge is created as described above e.g. 30 degrees and then duplicated 12 times the wedges may be assembled using the Applescript "Arrange in a Circle" with the radius set to 0.

best wishes
Simon

Simon,

It's good that you got through my mistake. I said "filled-sector tool," when I really meant "adjustable wedge shape."

- John

Last edited by john.gersh; 2011-04-15 at 09:33 AM..