The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Allow OmniFocus to Sync to work computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This may be a good option for syncing the data to work.
http://www.markspace.com/synctogether.php

I think you would need to make OmniFocus compatable with sync services.

Sadly, it seems to require that the computers are on the same LAN, "It's easy to set up and use across a local area network"

If I have my laptop with me, sure. But if I want to sync between my desktop at home and at work... maybe some VPN tricksies could make the discovery work or maybe their software really does work across wider networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood
Sadly, it seems to require that the computers are on the same LAN, "It's easy to set up and use across a local area network"

If I have my laptop with me, sure. But if I want to sync between my desktop at home and at work... maybe some VPN tricksies could make the discovery work or maybe their software really does work across wider networks.
Hmm... I was assuming it could sync to an external web server, and then my work could sync to that computer.

Local Area Network (LAN) connection between shared Macs OR for remote syncs the user must know the physical IP address of all the computers being synchronized and have Internet access.

Support for IP and name addressing
If you can ping a Mac, then SyncTogether can sync with it.

Password protection and data transfer encryption
A password must be provided before a Mac can join a SyncTogether group. Data is transmitted securely with SSL encryption, so it stays safe.

http://www.markspace.com/synctogether_features.html
Information from other applications
SyncTogether can synchronize certain types of information belonging to third-party applications that also support Sync Services. SyncTogether currently supports Bare Bones Software Yojimbo; Chronos SOHO Contacts and Calendar; Llamagraphics LifeBalance; Microsoft Entourage 2004; Panic Transmit and others. As more applications employ Sync Services, SyncTogether will handle more types of information.

Looks like more research is in order.

I use a laptop @ work and a desktop @ home (and sometimes a 2nd laptop). I make extensive use of .Mac sync services to keep the machine as similar as possible. I even keep NetNewsWire sync'd via .Mac.

OmniFocus would be infinitely more useful for me (I've only had it for two days now and I can see how I won't be able to give it up) if I can keep the database sync'd between my various machines.

So, add my vote for .Mac syncing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john0720
I use a laptop @ work and a desktop @ home (and sometimes a 2nd laptop). I make extensive use of .Mac sync services to keep the machine as similar as possible. I even keep NetNewsWire sync'd via .Mac.

OmniFocus would be infinitely more useful for me (I've only had it for two days now and I can see how I won't be able to give it up) if I can keep the database sync'd between my various machines.

So, add my vote for .Mac syncing!
My set up is exactly like john0720's and .Mac sync services are vital to me because I'm constantly shuttling back and forth between my iMac and PowerBook. To have that syncing ability would make my life so much easier.

QUESTION TO OMNI STAFF: As a work-around, what I've been doing in the case where an application can't sync between two Macs, I put the actual file in a .Mac folder and can access that file from any Mac that has the application installed and access to .Mac. That way every time I access the file from any Mac it is always updated and there is no syncing necessary.

Is this possible in the current version of OmniFocus? If so, what file would I put upload to my .Mac? If not, can it be?

I just got my invite to OF a couple of days ago and I am very impressed with the clean interface. Nice work so far!!!

I am moving from iGTD which is also a nice app. One of the nicest features it has is .mac syncing. I have two main macs that I use (one for work and one for home). Since my GTD app contains both work and home tasks I frequently switch between the machines.

I have been using iGTD for a few months now and the .mac syncing is flawless. With my limited knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes I can see that there is one sql file that gets updated and merged when accessing between the machines. I can also see that I have a .mac file and local file for offline access in iGTD.

I am sure I can find a way to manually do this but I would like to ask the Omni team if they can look at the iGTD implementation and see if it is something that can be implemented for 1.0 release. This is an extremely important feature for me and I am assuming other users with multiple macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleroscoe
QUESTION TO OMNI STAFF: As a work-around, what I've been doing in the case where an application can't sync between two Macs, I put the actual file in a .Mac folder and can access that file from any Mac that has the application installed and access to .Mac. That way every time I access the file from any Mac it is always updated and there is no syncing necessary.

Is this possible in the current version of OmniFocus? If so, what file would I put upload to my .Mac? If not, can it be?
You want the OmniFocus.ofocus file in [user name]/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus. An easy way to check that you're using the right one is to launch OmniFocus and then command-click on the document icon in the main window. This will show you the folder it's in, and you can click on that folder to open it in the finder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood

I synchronize remote computers. This requires enabling this on one side, and specifying the ip address on the other side (no Bonjour magic). But it works great after this setup.

The good news is that OF is just a bundle with a bunch of XML files; the bad news is that they are binary, which means tools like SVN cannot properly synchronise them. The Scrivener project has recently provided an option to use plain text XML for synch compatibility, at the expense of speed. I wonder what the performance impact would be in an application that uses so many XML files, and if it would be worth it to have a similar option?

Yes, please comment on how OmniFocus will sync with other instances of itself and with other software and devices.

Also, as I brought up in detail in another thread, are there any plans to support some sort of web-based or other platform-neutral means of accessing data? To be a truly trusted system, I must know that I can at least view my data anywhere.