The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus Reminders + iCal sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
iCal calendar sync for due-dates (or as it is now called "reminders") has been added to the iPhone a while ago and is working very good for me.

What has been missing was: the same functionality but for the OmniFocus Mac-Software. ATM when I change something in the mac-software of OF and want the changes to display in the subscribed calendar in iCal I have to:
- sync the mac OF with my set-up WebDAV
- sync the iPhone OF with that WebDAV-server
- upload the OmniFocus-Reminders.ics to the server
- Update the subscribed calendar in iCal

Now that is a bit complicated, I think. I once read, that this functionality was supposed to be found in OF 1.8 for the mac. Now I installed a Sneaky Peak of 1.8 and couldn't find this functionality.

Can someone take a minute and explain (detailed, to avoid me from missing something ;) thanks) how to set that up?

Regards,
FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError View Post
iCal calendar sync for due-dates (or as it is now called "reminders") has been added to the iPhone a while ago and is working very good for me.

What has been missing was: the same functionality but for the OmniFocus Mac-Software. ATM when I change something in the mac-software of OF and want the changes to display in the subscribed calendar in iCal I have to:
- sync the mac OF with my set-up WebDAV
- sync the iPhone OF with that WebDAV-server
- upload the OmniFocus-Reminders.ics to the server
- Update the subscribed calendar in iCal

Now that is a bit complicated, I think. I once read, that this functionality was supposed to be found in OF 1.8 for the mac. Now I installed a Sneaky Peak of 1.8 and couldn't find this functionality.

Can someone take a minute and explain (detailed, to avoid me from missing something ;) thanks) how to set that up?

Regards,
FE
I want to know this too. I have asked this question too and no one ever seems to know or just doesn't bother responding. Can anyone chime in on this that knows?

Go look at the Sync preferences!

Quote:
Can someone take a minute and explain (detailed, to avoid me from missing something) how to set that up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Go look at the Sync preferences!
Well, thank you. This was the tipp I was looking for. I never though the sync preferences would have to do anything with this. But guess what? I can't manage to set it up correctly. And it's quite different from the iPhone setup. And I asked for a detailed explanation.

Anyways, thanks for trying.

As far as I can tell and I have NO inside knowledge of this but…

If you already subscribe to updates via your iphone Omnifocus Reminders calendar then just checking the box to Publish Due reminders as a calendar forces OF to write changes to that same calendar.

At least that how it works here.

If this is the case then the Subscribe in iCal button actually does nothing as it's already set up.

Sorry if this doesn't help you.

Good luck.

C

Quote:
Here's how to publish due reminders from OmniFocus 1.8:
  1. Open Sync Preferences
  2. Make sure the "Publish Due reminders as a calendar" checkbox is checked.
  3. Optionally press the "Sync Now" button to make sure an updated calendar is published to your sync server. (This happens automatically a few minutes after each edit to your task database.)
  4. Optionally press the "Subscribe in iCal" button to subscribe your Mac to the reminders calendar.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Here's how to publish due reminders from OmniFocus 1.8:
  1. Open Sync Preferences
  2. Make sure the "Publish Due reminders as a calendar" checkbox is checked.
  3. Optionally press the "Sync Now" button to make sure an updated calendar is published to your sync server. (This happens automatically a few minutes after each edit to your task database.)
  4. Optionally press the "Subscribe in iCal" button to subscribe your Mac to the reminders calendar.

Hope this helps!
Yes, it does. I did figure out how to do this before your post, but the post is nevertheless helpful. The only downside I see from the Mac perspective is that now my calendar gets so crowded with the items from OF, that my calendar is getting dysfunctional since I can't filter out the items w/o turning off the calendar.

I had to turn off this feature as a result.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Any suggestions?
Use fewer due dates? :-)

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerithom View Post
If you already subscribe to updates via your iphone Omnifocus Reminders calendar then just checking the box to Publish Due reminders as a calendar forces OF to write changes to that same calendar.

At least that how it works here.

If this is the case then the Subscribe in iCal button actually does nothing as it's already set up.
Okay, sounds good, but I'm still having trouble. The Calendar that showed up after I set up the iPhone with this reminders iCal-file is called "OmniFocus Reminders" and is under the subscriptions-category in iCal.

Now I tried to do what you wrote, but the problem is when I go to the settings in OF on mac and the tab iCal (I guess that is what you were refering to) I don't find that subscription calendar. I just find the "normal" calendars which are in the calendars-category in ical.

Now what do I do?!? Set up a new "normal" calendar and do what you described but then I have the remindes twice...

Well, maybe someone from the OF-team can write a quick how-to. I think I'm not the only one with trouble setting this up.

EDIT: ok, while I was writing this, some new answers just popped up. Thanks guys. I have to go now, will try this tomorrow.

@Ken: Thanks a lot. Your post was very helpful. It's working now. And it is a feature I have been waiting for since calendar export came to the iPhone.

Thanks!