The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

So S-L-O-W Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I pop in once in a while to try a SP. But I really can't see using it any more since it is so much slower than FF3 or Opera.

Why is page loading so slow in OW? Even Safari is better.

Hi Handycam,

Believe me or not, but OW 5.8 SP is faster than safari and FF on my MacBook.
And also less bugs than 5.7.

It's HUGELY SLOW, what's going on?!!!! It's making me switch to Safari.

WTF? What's the explanation?

Yes it is slower than Safari here as well

Latest test was loading http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php

OmniWeb was about half the speed.

OSX 10.5.4 and Omniwen 5.8sp1

Mark

It seems to be slower on Leopard.
It's pretty fast on my Tiger/Macbook, and I'm using the wifi.
With a ethernet connection, it's like , you know "BOOOM".

OmniWeb has fallen behind the pack.

Safari 3.1 is ridiculously faster than OmniWeb for me; so much so that I had to finally dump the ol Omni browser. It's a constant beachball party. Basically it has serious issues with memory management, and constantly causes disk paging. The history index is *brutally* slow; even when I limited it to only the last 24 hours, it was still really bad.

The free SafariStand add-on alone adds pretty much every feature I would have missed. It's nice being on the latest WebKit as well, instead of lagging way behind.

Another reason Safari runs circles around OmniWeb is the huge strides being made in JavaScript performance -- and they haven't even rolled out the brand new Squirrelfish engine yet.

It makes me sad to say it, since OmniWeb was my favorite browser for several years, but I think it's just about time to put the ol' dog to sleep. There's no way in hell it's going to catch up to Safari at the rate the WebKit team is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
It makes me sad to say it, since OmniWeb was my favorite browser for several years, but I think it's just about time to put the ol' dog to sleep. There's no way in hell it's going to catch up to Safari at the rate the WebKit team is going.
OmniWeb uses WebKit too.

On my system (first-gen MacBook pro, 2 GiB of RAM, 10.4.11), OmniWeb is by far the fastest browser. Firefox comes close, especially with AJAX stuff, but isn’t as responsive as OW for me. Yes, perhaps I should rephrase the first sentence: OW is the most responsive browser I have on my system, not necessarily the fastest (I don’t do benchmarks).

Still, for the past couple of weeks I’ve been using Firefox 3 exclusively. It lags somewhat with the theme I use, but well, I have to work with a CMS WebKit just doesn’t like. So rather than having two browsers open and have to deal with two sets of bookmarks, I switched to Firefox.

The one feature I miss the most are Workspaces, but I worked around that by having three FF windows open (and the sessions saved) to emulate my OW workspaces. Works well so far, and it’s nice to use Exposé to switch “Workspaces”.

I might switch back to OW once WebKit is more mature. Or, rather, once WebKit can deal with the CMS I need to work with. I do like OW better than Firefox (responsiveness again), but …*well. Work comes first.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiec View Post
OmniWeb uses WebKit too.
A modified version. So it's usually a bit behind the current Safari and (of course) WebKit nightlies.

If I was to use a webkit browser, I'd prefer OW for the added features over Safari. As log as it stays current, hopefully without several months of SPs every time Safari gets updated.

Oh, and I think OW is really network-sensitive. Because many times (like today) it's really fast and a joy to use. But then other times more sluggish than FF. It could be out network, but other browsers seem to be more forgiving of slow networks. Is this true? Is this a web kit thing?