The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best way to learn how to use OmniGraffle? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I bought a copy while I was at MacWorld, but haven't really used it yet. The guy who was showing it to me at the show was able to do some really good looking stuff. I, however, am not really sure where to start.

Are there any tutorials, videos, documents, ... that can show me where to get started? I'm mostly going to be creating network diagrams, but would certainly be interested in other uses.

Thanks!
-Cyrus

http://www.omnigroup.com/application...raffle/extras/

Top one (walkthrough) is a pretty basic introduction to the application.

Hmm... That was pretty near useless.

I really wish someone would do a screencast or one of those TeachMac tutorials. I'd totally buy it. There are a couple great ones for OmniOutliner.

Any other suggestions?

We're working on getting similar screencasts for Graffle. Not sure the time frame for them though.

There's some network diagram stencils here: http://www.graffletopia.com/categories/9

Working on real projects, seems to be the only way to get to know it. Tutorials and guides won't help you integrate your needs to omnigraffle's features.

I learned it by informing my clients that visio couldn't the handle amount of fpo images needed (which was true) and that I was switching over to Omnigraffle. Using Pro allowed me to import existing Visio files and see how Omni shows the same objects.

Things like:
Visio's Page = Omni's Canvas
Visio's Document Stencil = Omni's Master Object
Visio's Background Page = Omni's Shared Layer.

Often, when struggling to reconcile what I already know in visio into how omnigraffle does things, I make a list of items I needed to do in omnigraffle.

On the whole it took about 4 weeks of 40 hours to get to a place where I felt confident to use, and able to learn from forums for more.