The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dropbox/Clippings? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I've been testing out OmniOutliner the last couple of days, and I really like it so far. A couple of questions (which I didn't see the direct answers to in the manual):

1) Is there any way to select pictures instead of text in a web browser and send to clippings? That would be invaluable for creating my research files.

2) Is there any way that you guys can think about including a side dock a la Yojimbo or Together to drop stuff on for clippings?

3) Is there any way for me to change my files location (for clippings, say) to a folder in my Dropbox folder? I tried it and it didn't work. It just created a Clippings file in the default clippings folder, no matter what I did (even browsing to the Dropbox folder...still didn't work. Maybe it's a trial thing?)

I really need an information organizer for clippings/research I do online. I'm still uncertain if OmniOutliner is what I need. I actually have never, ever, written outlines. I hated them in school and when I write essays/op-eds (which I do quite often and fairly successfully..) it all gets outlined in my head beforehand - not on paper.

But I love Omni so much that I really want some good reasons to buy this. :)

Thanks for any info!

I just wanted to post an update: I did buy OmniOutliner today and it's really amazing what it can do. I think the name "Outliner" is a tad deceptive. :)

One problem: I still don't appear to be able to add a folder in dropbox to my clippings saving options. It always reverts to putting the document in the default clippings folder. I'm not sure why or what I'm doing wrong...I'd really like my default Omni folder to be in my dropbox folder.

Any suggestions?

That interface is unfortunately deceptive, it's not currently possible to create a clipping file in a different location.

FWIW there seems to be a read-only solution, but the write part doesn't appear to work:
  • If you create an .oo3 document in a Dropbox folder,
  • create an alias to it (Ctrl-Click 'Make Alias'),
  • and copy the the alias to:
    ~/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner 3/Clippings
  • (renaming the alias to end with .oo3)
  • (and relaunching OmniOutliner and other apps)

You will be able to open the Dropbox files through File > Open clippings, but they don't, in fact, seem to receive the clippings through the services commands

(though there is no warning of failure - arguably a bug ?)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-06-01 at 12:30 PM..

Cool thank you. :)

Well, in that case I'll wait for OO4 to come out. I imagine they will probably be using their new sync servers with the new app or something (at least I can hope). That would be even better, honestly.

So far, I'm amazed at the versatility of this program. I'm extremely pleased I got it. :)

As always, OmniGroup makes excellent software.