The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

[OF2] Too many syncs and freezing UI Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have bad internet connection at work place. The automatic (or random) sync with Omni server causes too many troubles than conveniences. The UI freezes at any time when it is syncing. It is worse in OF2 because the sync button is removed from the bottom so I have no clue what's happening when the UI freeze, all I can guess is that OF is syncing.

Why it has to sync so frequently, especially no change from other device? Why not let the user decide when to sync?

I like the concept of background syncing as I thought it would eliminate foreground syncing. But I have the same problem, the interface freezes too much during interaction. I'd rather defer the sync until the app is backgrounded once again.

I'm not sure that the freezing is necessarily connected to a sync. It'd be great if you could get in touch with our Support Humans so we can diagnose this issue more. omnifocus@omnigroup.com

It should be syncing. When I got wifi, OF still froze sometimes, but it got over much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
I'm not sure that the freezing is necessarily connected to a sync. It'd be great if you could get in touch with our Support Humans so we can diagnose this issue more. omnifocus@omnigroup.com

Okay. So assuming it is syncing, we still aren't seeing this in-house, so we need your help tracking this down.

Done, email sent to support.

Of course, now that I have console logging enabled, the App is working flawlessly.

Hi Murphy, here's the law I have for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
I have bad internet connection at work place. The automatic (or random) sync with Omni server causes too many troubles than conveniences. The UI freezes at any time when it is syncing. It is worse in OF2 because the sync button is removed from the bottom so I have no clue what's happening when the UI freeze, all I can guess is that OF is syncing.

Why it has to sync so frequently, especially no change from other device? Why not let the user decide when to sync?
I'm guessing that OF2 is sensing a wifi connection and attempting to sync. But when your wifi connection drops in the middle of syncing, it will stall.

Perhaps one thing you can do is to turn off background syncing. Then just do a manual sync when you know you have a stable connection.

if you have the iPhone, just use your cellular data connection instead of the company wifi.

To close the loop (at least for me) on this issue, I can advise that I communicated with Omni Support via email, providing iPhone console logs, etc.

Firstly, Omni support were terrific.

Secondly, no clear fault could be identified other than geographical distance between me in Perth, Australia and the OmniSyncServer in Seattle. To be fair, this is basically opposite sides of the globe.

I have used the Sync Server since it was launched, so have always presumed that my sync speed was normal.

However, to test it I created my own WebDAV sync on my NAS. Now, sync is so fast - even when routed through the Internet, and not through the LAN - and I haven't had any freezes.

I should have done this sooner!