The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resources with different skill sets Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello

I'm trialling OP and my main requirement is to be able to manage project resources with different skill sets. For example, Person Y may have skill set 1 & 2. Person Z may have skill set 2 & 3. Both these resources therefore, have a skill set (2) in common however they can both do 'stuff' the other can't, i.e. Person Y has skill set 1, that Person Z does not

Using resource names (i.e. Person Z) does not make it easy for me to see who is available (and at what time) when it is the skill set that actually drives who I can allocate out of a team, to perform a specific task in a project. Put another way, it's no good looking at a resource view and seeing Person Z is available at a point in time to do a job, whereas in reality, he/she is actually not qualified to perform that task, as they do not possess skill set 1

Hope the above makes sense and there is a solution or workaround. I have a large team and it is very skill set driven. To illustrate it further, it's software development centric and not all developers can work on the same technology

Many thanks
MS

Last edited by MARK-S; 2009-08-14 at 03:17 PM..

Perhaps instead of thinking of your resources as people, you should think of them as blocks of time with a particular skill set.

Instead of:

Tom, whiz at compilers and Perl
Dick, whiz at compilers and HTML
Harry, whiz at debugging and optimization

have resources like:

compilers - Tom
compilers - Dick
Perl
HTML
debugging
optimization

which you allocate time to based on your needs and your staffing. Tom might be represented as a compilers resource good for 6 hours per day, and a Perl resource good for 2 hours per day. Dick might be equally good at compilers, but he's the only guy on the staff who knows HTML and you've got a lot of work to be done in that department, so maybe you put him down for 7 hours/day of HTML and just 1 of compilers, at least until the HTML pressure is off. The resource utilization view can be used to help you make sure you keep all the pieces in play. Unfortunately, you can't have it take unallocated time from one skill set and automatically assign it to another skill set.

Doing this well in an automated fashion seems like a non-trivial problem!