The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF 1.7 Planning Sidebar font Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm on the fence about the default font for the Planning Sidebar. It is a sort of attractive font, but: 1) the kerning feels too loose for me, since I'd rather see more text; 2) it doesn't mesh well with the font in Outline (Planning mode).

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
I'm on the fence about the default font for the Planning Sidebar. It is a sort of attractive font, but: 1) the kerning feels too loose for me, since I'd rather see more text; 2) it doesn't mesh well with the font in Outline (Planning mode).
You know these can be customized right? It's in the "Style" area of OmniFocus preferences.

Have you reset styles? The new default styles seem to use the same font everywhere. I suspect you're seeing the new font (Lucida Grande) in the sidebar but a customized font in the main pane.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
You know these can be customized right? It's in the "Style" area of OmniFocus preferences.
Yep. I'm commenting on what is currently the default. I think that the OG would want to pick something that is generally acceptable. I'm not saying my choice is the right one, but that's how the current font feels to me. Many people know or bother to customize.

Bob

The font is Lucida Grande which is a standard OS X font and used in a large number of applications. It appears to have replaced Helvetica which was more common in the past.

The default size, though, is ginormous. I'm sure of the assumption that "Built so granny could read it" means "a simpler application to get started with." :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I suspect you're seeing the new font (Lucida Grande) in the sidebar but a customized font in the main pane.
Spot on, thanks. Having the same font in both areas makes it less jarring. I might soften to the new default font. Bob

I've long wondered why OmniFocus used Helvetica as the default. Perhaps a carry-over from OmniOutliner?

Don't get me wrong, I love Helvetica. But, as CatOne pointed out, Lucida Grande is the default system font used in all of Apple's sidebars and lists, and in the vast majority of third-party apps too. AFAIK, Apple only uses Helvetica in Leopard's Stacks feature and as the default typeface for user content (e.g. in TextEdit, Mail, etc.). Although, Helvetica is heavily used in the iPhone OS.

I had gotten so used to Helvetica in OmniFocus that it was a bit jarring to see Lucida Grande at first, but I must admit it's growing on me now. I'm liking a lot of the 1.7 changes. Keep 'em coming OG!

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-08-14 at 01:51 PM..

We're very interested in what folks think of the new default appearance, and we're keeping an eye on the forums (obviously). As always, though, make sure to submit your thoughts to the support ninjas via email, as well. Thanks!

The default appearance is very similar to what I had set up before, with the only significant difference is that I use smaller fonts and tighter spacing, and I like the sidebar to have a blue background in both Project and Context mode. I do like the look of the view bar, and would also vote for the darker HUD look for the Quick Entry panel.

Yes, I like the new default theme, with the only qualification being that, like Greg Jones, I prefer a slightly smaller typeface, although maybe not as small as Greg's (11 pt. for sidebar and 12 pt. for main outline, both Lucida Grande).

-Dennis