The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Grouping Notes/Memos Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

I'm thinking of buying OmniFocus for the iPhone and then for the desktop later. Does OmniFocus let me group notes or memos in different groups? For example can I have a group of notes for financial stuff and another group of notes for work stuff?

Or would I need different software for that? I'm trialing Bento 2 but that doesn't help me with notes on the iPhone.

Thanks

Each action in OmniFocus can have a note attached to it, and you could certainly put those actions into various groups. If you're strictly looking for note-organizing, though, you may want to look at something like evernote; I have not used it myself, but a fair number of our customers seem to like it. They use evernote for their note-organizing, while using OmniFocus for their action-organizing.

I don't know if putting your "notes" and "memos" into folders will help. Folders seem to be a handy and intuitive way of breaking large varied lists into shorted bits.

Declan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Each action in OmniFocus can have a note attached to it, and you could certainly put those actions into various groups. If you're strictly looking for note-organizing, though, you may want to look at something like evernote; I have not used it myself, but a fair number of our customers seem to like it. They use evernote for their note-organizing, while using OmniFocus for their action-organizing.
Thanks Brian.

I had a look at Evernote but I don't like the way it doesn't let people save their notes locally. It seems it only stores the notes on the Evernote server so I would be reliant on their servers staying online as well as my being in an area where my internet connection is still available.

To be honest with the way OmniFocus handles the syncing process through MobileMe I'd be very happy if an update to OmniFocus included Notes that could be grouped into sections or folders.

Or even if there was a seperate "OmniNote" or "OmniMemo" app that lets people keep local copies of their notes on their iPhones and Macs, be able to have those notes grouped under headings or folders, and be able to be synced the same ways OmniFocus can be synced. And maybe had a search function. Now that would be a "killer app".

By the way, I bought OmniFocus for the iPhone and the Mac. I'll be checking it out more thoroughly this weekend.

Last edited by Peter Mount; 2008-10-24 at 09:22 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mount View Post
Or even if there was a seperate "OmniNote" or "OmniMemo" app that lets people keep local copies of their notes on their iPhones and Macs, be able to have those notes grouped under headings or folders, and be able to be synced the same ways OmniFocus can be synced. And maybe had a search function. Now that would be a "killer app"
Hmm, that sounds a lot like the mythical "OmniOutliner for iPhone" app that some people have been dreaming about, including me. :)

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Hmm, that sounds a lot like the mythical "OmniOutliner for iPhone" app that some people have been dreaming about, including me. :)

-Dennis
Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for that :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mount View Post
To be honest with the way OmniFocus handles the syncing process through MobileMe I'd be very happy if an update to OmniFocus included Notes that could be grouped into sections or folders.
As Brian mentioned, you can attach notes to actions, action groups, and projects. There's not really anything that I can see stopping you from building up a hierarchical structure in a top-level folder with your notes attached to each element. It's certainly a bit clunkier than the OO(iP) solution would be, but you can have it a lot sooner! In fact, if you make up your structure as an OmniOutliner outline, you can import it (File->Import), move the result out of the Inbox, and you're set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
As Brian mentioned, you can attach notes to actions, action groups, and projects. There's not really anything that I can see stopping you from building up a hierarchical structure in a top-level folder with your notes attached to each element. It's certainly a bit clunkier than the OO(iP) solution would be, but you can have it a lot sooner! In fact, if you make up your structure as an OmniOutliner outline, you can import it (File->Import), move the result out of the Inbox, and you're set!
Thanks for that. I'll try that and see how I go with it.

I misspoke a bit in my earlier post; importing from OmniOutliner will result in the OmniOutliner rows becoming OmniFocus actions, not notes (the OO notes will become OF notes). You could of course build your file in OO accordingly if you wanted everything to show up in OF as notes.

Having the text of your rows show up as the action names may or may not be convenient if your notes are long enough, but if there is a limit on action name length, I didn't encounter it in my OmniFocus desktop tests. I can imagine it might not be convenient on the iPhone/Touch if an action name is longer than would fit on the screen, but I'm just guessing there...

Since we're on the subject of notes...

I know that you open and close notes with apple-'. But is there any way to make sure notes stay opened? Is there an 'expand all' for notes? Or a default of 'always show notes' vs. 'always hide notes'? Something...

I don't find notes as useful as I might if they were more visible more often...without me searching for them individually.