The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GMAIL OW not a supported browser??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Okay, I may be going nuts.
I thought I loaded GMAIL in OW 5.1.3 fine. Yet I viewed gmail this afternoon and noticed that now it is rendering in the HTML only mode.
With a comment at the top of the page that says NOT SUPPORTED BROWSER. Does OW 5.1.3 work or not work w/ OW... I love how fast it loads was thinking about a purchase but, does GMAIL work fine or not?

I am a Powerbook PPC 1.5 w/ 10.4.7 and downloaded OW Version 5.1.3 (563.66) yesterday.

Many thanks!!!

Use the site prefs to pretend to be either Safari or FireFox. That did the trick for me.

I suggest setting the site preferences for gmail/google to identify the browser as Firefox. I tied Safari, but not everything in Gmail worked (chat, for example,) but FF seems to be working fine so far.

We made a change to our user-agent string that should allow identifying as OmniWeb to work with gmail again in the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
We made a change to our user-agent string that should allow identifying as OmniWeb to work with gmail again in the next release.

Nice! Thanks Troy,

I replied to this in another thread, but just in case!! If you read the information Google links to about unsupported browsers, it gives you an option to bypass the browser check that dumps you into basic html. The url for the browser-bypass gmail is http://mail.google.com/mail/?nocheckbrowser . So just use that url in place of your usual gmail url and you will be fine.

Thanks so much for that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
My 2 cents...

This is unfortunately necessary because many web developers take the lazy (and less effective) approach and identify browsers to determine how to serve content (rather than identifying the presence or absence of the specific function).

Just my opinion, of course....

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheski
My 2 cents...

This is unfortunately necessary because many web developers take the lazy (and less effective) approach and identify browsers to determine how to serve content (rather than identifying the presence or absence of the specific function).

Just my opinion, of course....

Peter
Mega Dittos.

Am I the only one who can't login to gmail at all? The same thing with del.icio.us (I posted that elsewhere). Please help! I tried spoofing several browsers. It's just telling me "Cannot Load Address"

Last edited by FredH; 2006-11-17 at 04:24 PM..