The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ical event sync with automated alarm function or an internal alarm function. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
@LizPF I'm not sure what you're doing with OF, but I have over 100 projects and thousands of tasks, and use it for Project Management for all my projects at home and work.

On some tasks, there is a hard landscape, and it is a duplication of effort to put a task on a calendar when it is already in OF. OF is a calendar in that you can see what is overdue and due soon, and the details of that dating. If it isn't a calendar, then why have a due date feature at all.

This especially applies to those of us that are in OF all day long and store all our project information there. And we are already putting in due dates/times to manage the projects properly.

@Ken Regarding Ken's suggestion to send Growl notifications to SMS. That really isn't a good solution as there would be too many messages going out. I would like the capability to send just those notifications that I need to be reminded of at a certain time. I am currently using Jott for those types of notifications, but that too is a duplication of effort I would like to remove from my workflow.

This obviously is not any kind of deal breaker for me. I love OF and it is absolutely the best and most flexible GTD tool on the market. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkendrick View Post
On some tasks, there is a hard landscape, and it is a duplication of effort to put a task on a calendar when it is already in OF. OF is a calendar in that you can see what is overdue and due soon, and the details of that dating. If it isn't a calendar, then why have a due date feature at all.

This especially applies to those of us that are in OF all day long and store all our project information there. And we are already putting in due dates/times to manage the projects properly.
I really like this post from Brian. I think he really underscores the differences between the two kinds of data.

-Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I agree with Brian on start and end hard landscape belonging in a calendar, but still feel there's a place for important reminders about things coming due.

Others have asked, why not use a perspective. I do use a perspective, but often when I arrive at work I have other chores that need to be done and sometimes attend early meetings. It is at those times that an SMS reminder of something I really need to get done is welcome. As I've mentioned, Jott has served me well here, and it would be nice to incorporate something like that into OF. John

The automatic alarm would be nice and I really prefer that.These tools are very much helpful for us and specially the professional.