The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Organize Projects by Category or Roles Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I say category I mean health finance social spiritual as opposed to roles like brother father designer etc...

Ive been doing it by categories but im considering doing it by roles now..

anyone has a suggestion?

Maybe you should do it by both...by s "areas of responsibility" (work/finances/etc) and roles..

any comments?

I prefer the "areas of responsibility" model. Personally, I have a hard time putting myself in the right mindset for a roles-based approach. However, I'd be interested in hearing other people's successes with roles. Maybe I'm missing something.

-Dennis

I figured it out, I think. Because the Sharpen the Saw Role it would allow for health social and spiritual and mental...

I believe it is best to COMBINE the two approaches for example

instead of

Just
health, finances, social spiritual, relationships etc.. group all of that into a Sharpen the Saw Role, giving it a folder. Then add your additional roles like father, brother, designer, etc on the same level as the Sharpen the Saw Role...

so its basically understanding that taking care of yourself is a role too.. it all fits under the sharpen the saw role... All I had before was the the Sharpen the Saw categories and nothing else lol....

I hope this helps someone else :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneneckles View Post
I believe it is best to COMBINE the two approaches for example

instead of

Just
health, finances, social spiritual, relationships etc.. group all of that into a Sharpen the Saw Role, giving it a folder. Then add your additional roles like father, brother, designer, etc on the same level as the Sharpen the Saw Role...

so its basically understanding that taking care of yourself is a role too.. it all fits under the sharpen the saw role... All I had before was the the Sharpen the Saw categories and nothing else lol....

That's exactly how I use the top-level folders.

My other tweak is to describe the roles as overriding goals. So instead of "Computer Science Professor", I have "Advance Knowledge and Understanding of Computing". This phrasing helps with the higher levels of what Allen calls the Natural Planning Model, that is purpose and vision. It also gets at the Covey habit of Beginning with the End in Mind.

Curt

This is awesome Curt.. thanks.. I'll followup if I have any questions :) and I'll post a screenshot too when I get it setup.

You know Curt I just realized something..
Describing the roles as weekly goals ( wasnt sure how often you changed them) further combines the GTD and Covey approach...