The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Siri + OmniFocus [Siri support added in OmniFocus for iPhone v1.13] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Hmm... what would Siri do when you ask it "what's today's forecast?"

Does it show you the weather or your OmniFocus Forecast?
Cloudy with a heavy chance of Mother-in-law around five o'clock.

Just a thought out of the box. Is there an API for the build in reminders app? Reading new tasks of the reminders APP and getting them in the OF inbox would be enough Siri integration for me at the moment. This would allow to get a new task in by simply speaking it to Siri. That would help a lot.

I've used the Siri app and I will most definitely be using reminders in the meantime (for the quick todos) until Apple allows Siri to be integrated with 3rd party apps. I've used Voice control before in other phones and they all seem kinda gimmicky and it's easier to just type on the phone instead. But Siri seems to be the first mainstream voice control technology that will work naturally with real world use.

The app should be integrated for adding items using the email function. As one forced to use Windows at work, I have to do that often anyway. I know that it is not what we are looking for, but given time, I believe that we will see it.

At a minimum, I would hope it would be easy to send a fast email by voice that could be routed to OF's inbox. I don't care so much about Siri telling me what to do next, but I would absolutely love the ability to rattle off quick todo's on the fly by voice.

Ok, this sounds really cool:

"To give you an idea of how convenient Siri is, it takes about three seconds to create a reminder with a voice command, as opposed to the 10 seconds it takes me to manually type an event into a to-do list or calendar entry. . . .

You would think that dictating commands to a phone would look awkward in public, but Apple thought of a trick to make this less weird. By default, if you hold the iPhone up to your ear, Siri is activated, so it looks like you’re talking to someone on the phone rather than talking to the phone itself. Clever, huh?"

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/10/iphone4s/

I suspect it'll take a few years to get there, but in principle it sounds like there's no reason why the entire data-input process (get the task wording, stick it into the right project, create a folder for it, set the context, etc.) couldn't be done by simply talking to the phone.

But in the meantime, talking into my phone for 3 seconds to create a reminder sounds pretty good.

As far as I know, there's no third-party access to Siri yet.

That said, we might be able to hack something together with the Omni Sync Server. Theoretically, you could use Siri to dictate/send an email your account on the server, which then adds the item to your database on that end.

Your various devices wouldn't know about the item until they next synced, but if all you need is to capture something you don't want to forget, it might be enough. I'll file the feature request. I am not an engineer, so I really have no idea how feasible this actually is. Take it with a bigger grain of salt than usual I usually prescribe. :-)

Hi, until you can get siri up and running with Omnifocus, is there a way to sync iOS 5 reminders to omnifocus?

Hi all -

It would be really cool to get Siri to add tasks to omnifocus. Since that won't happen till Apple releases APIs, I wrote an applescript to pull all new reminders from iCal (which gets all of the reminders, synced over iCloud) and adds them to your omnifocus inbox. If you have a computer with ical and omnifocus running, then you can add a task to the reminders app on the phone via Siri, which will sync via iCloud back to your mac, which then gets imported into omnifocus via this script, which I have running every minute via launched. You could probably do it less often... I haven't found that it burns too many cycles on my 3 year old macbook pro. You can set the interval to whatever you want (in seconds) in the launched plist below.

The applescript adds a note to your reminder after it send it to omnifocus, so you don't get duplicates. It leaves the todo in the reminders section of ical as well, instead of deleting it, because I figured it would be nice to have it pop up automatically on the phone later. You could just as easily delete them after transferring them into omnifocus, but then you don't get the cool location and date reminding of the iOS reminders app. I couldn't figure out any way to get at the location information in the particular todos from iCal. Perhaps apple will update the ical applescript dictionary to allow that in the future.

Also, I set the due date in the reminder to the start date in omnifocus. Since I rely heavily on start dates instead of due dates to keep things organized, seemed to make sense. Plus it's in the spirit of the 'Remind me to get the mail tomorrow' spirit of the iOS reminders app.

Set the calendar name on the second line of the applescript to whichever calendar you sync reminders to from your iPhone.

To get launched working running, add the code I have below for omni_siri.plist to your LaunchAgents folder in your user Library and execute
Code:
launchctl load -w ~/Library/LaunchAgents/omni_siri.plist
at the terminal. It should also autoload on startup from then on.

Tell Siri "Remind me to get the mail tomorrow", and soon you will have a new inbox item in omnifocus (on your computer and back on your phone, the next time you open omnifocus on your iOS) with the text "Get the mail" and a start date of tomorrow. Cool!

Best,
naupaka

Here's the applescript.

Code:
tell application "iCal"
	set myRemindersIDS to todo of calendar "Reminders"
	repeat with theTodo in myRemindersIDS
		tell theTodo
			set todo_summary to (get summary of theTodo)
			set todo_due to (get due date of theTodo)
			set todo_description to (get description of theTodo)
			if "transferred" is not in todo_description then
				tell application "OmniFocus"
					set theDoc to first document
					tell theDoc
						make new inbox task with properties {name:todo_summary, start date:todo_due}
					end tell
				end tell
				tell application "iCal"
					set description of theTodo to "transferred"
				end tell
			end if
		end tell
	end repeat
end tell

tell application "OmniFocus"
	synchronize default document
end tell
Here's omni_siri.plist for launchd.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
		<key>Label</key>
		<string>com.myOmniSiri</string>
		<key>LowPriorityIO</key>
		<true/>
		<key>Program</key>
		<string>/usr/bin/osascript</string>
		<key>ProgramArguments</key>
		<array>
			<string>osascript</string>
			<string>/full/path/to/your/scripts/reminders_to_omnifocus.scpt</string>
		</array>
		<key>StartInterval</key>
		<integer>60</integer>
	</dict>
</plist>

I am a newbie to applescript, would you have a place where I could read on how to include this script in terminal?