The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Making an Action a Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi folks,

I find that I often capture actions to my Inbox that are, in fact, projects. Right now, I can manually drag the action to the Projects list and viola, it's a project.

I'm looking for faster ways of processing my Inbox so I can more easily make these actions into projects. Is there a plan to introduce a keyboard shortcut that'll do this?

Thanks,

Jason.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
Hi folks,

I find that I often capture actions to my Inbox that are, in fact, projects. Right now, I can manually drag the action to the Projects list and viola, it's a project.

I'm looking for faster ways of processing my Inbox so I can more easily make these actions into projects. Is there a plan to introduce a keyboard shortcut that'll do this?

Thanks,

Jason.

you can quickly make a new project by entering a new project name in the project collumn and then typing apple+return...does that help?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
I find that I often capture actions to my Inbox that are, in fact, projects. Right now, I can manually drag the action to the Projects list and viola, it's a project.

I'm looking for faster ways of processing my Inbox so I can more easily make these actions into projects. Is there a plan to introduce a keyboard shortcut that'll do this?
It's already there.

Cmd-[ will "outdent" an action into a new project. (It will then appear at the bottom of the Projects list.)

With the task selected (but no cursor active in any of the fields), the L key (for "move left") will have the same effect.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrown00
you can quickly make a new project by entering a new project name in the project collumn and then typing apple+return...does that help?
It doesn't, unfortunately; if I have "Install DSL", captured via QuickEntry to get it out of my brain and into my Inbox, I'd have to copy/paste or retype "Install DSL" in the Project field, and have a Project with an action that's not really actionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
It's already there.

Cmd-[ will "outdent" an action into a new project. (It will then appear at the bottom of the Projects list.)

With the task selected (but no cursor active in any of the fields), the L key (for "move left") will have the same effect.
That's close, but not quite perfect: any actions that happen to be underneath the selected item become indented as part of that selected item. For example, if I had:

Install DSL
Call Tom about cat
Buy iPhone

And I "outdented" "Install DSL", I'd end up with:

Install DSL
* Call Tom about cat
* Buy iPhone

With "Install DSL" as a Project on the left side.

Even worse, if I then re-indented "Install DSL", all the items underneath it remain a part of of it.

This is particularly unfortunate if I have 20 items in my Inbox, and I outdented the first one: I now have 1 item in my inbox and 19 sub-items!

This may be a bug in implementation, so I'll send this in via the Feedback mechanism.

Thanks for the pointers.

Jason.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
That's close, but not quite perfect: any actions that happen to be underneath the selected item become indented as part of that selected item. For example, if I had:

Install DSL
Call Tom about cat
Buy iPhone

And I "outdented" "Install DSL", I'd end up with:

Install DSL
* Call Tom about cat
* Buy iPhone

With "Install DSL" as a Project on the left side.

Even worse, if I then re-indented "Install DSL", all the items underneath it remain a part of of it.

This is particularly unfortunate if I have 20 items in my Inbox, and I outdented the first one: I now have 1 item in my inbox and 19 sub-items!

This may be a bug in implementation, so I'll send this in via the Feedback mechanism.
Yup, I've run into that. Actually let me revise my tip.

Use Ctrl-Cmd-[ ("Move left" instead of "Outdent") and it will do what you want.

The second tip I gave (using "L") also works as you want, but requires that the cursor not be active. Ctrl-Cmd-[ works no matter what.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to have more than one next action per project? ssavanna OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2011-04-18 12:08 PM
Stalled project when project is sequential and first action is repeating SpiralOcean OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-01-02 04:07 PM
Cleanup not assigning project-less action to my 'single actions' project bongoman OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2007-12-11 03:04 PM
Request: Create project in Action > Project Inspector omnibob OmniFocus 1 for Mac 6 2007-07-21 02:02 PM
Making tasks available in seqeuntial project justint OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2007-05-23 04:44 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.