The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New Folder only at Top Level Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to create a logical grouping within a project using a folder. However the New Folder option is only available at the top level of the Projects view, and only allows the Folder to be placed in Top Level - not within a Project. Is this a bug? Thanks.

Last edited by KMow; 2010-08-11 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Showing up strange in view

Folders cannot be placed inside projects. However, you can nest actions inside a project. Omni calls these "action groups". To create an action group, first create a task to serve as the parent of the group. Then tap an action that you want to be a child of it, tap Move, and select the parent action.

Curt

@curt.clifton: chat thés approach is lacking is the ability to open/close the action groupe as a Fraser. It is possible on OF desktop & iPhone but not yet on iPad.
this comes in unhandy when reviewing.

Yes, thanks, I have done this, but I always see the child action underneath the parent (indented). I cannot roll up the sub- actions underneath the parent - like a folder behavior - I don't really mind what that kind of functionality is called - as long as the parent can collapse and expand.

I saw this in the Omnifocus for iPad intro video - or something like it - can you tell me how that nesting was achieved? Is it as projects within a top level folder, or folders within folders - or something else? Thanks again.

It works for folders & projects only on my iPad.
OF/Mac does as you wish even for Action groups.

Yes, I agree. The inability to roll-up / close an action list is a missing feature that I hope OG adds soon.

It was (strangely) a big disappointment when I first used OF for iPad. My neat list of tasks on the Mac version, where the action lists are rolled up so I can focus on a particular aspect of a project, cannot be mirrored on the iPad. This left me with a long list of tasks that I couldn't easily glance through.

Not a big deal overall and hopefully one OG can resolve in the next update.