The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating Tasks and Forecast view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I've created a project with a list of tasks, the first task I need to do it every morning for one full week so I put the starting date as Sun 14, Due day Sun 21 and the repeat field every day at 7am.

Now, looking at the Forecast view to check what I need to do today, I can't see that task there.

where's exactly my mistake :) ??

Thanks in advance for your support

Repeating tasks don't create their future instances until you complete the current one. A daily repeating task only shows up on one day in the Forecast view. This is different than how calendar apps such as iCal typically work; both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. The good news is that a task which repeats daily for any appreciable amount of time will become part of your routine, and it won't be necessary to see it in the Forecast view to be aware of the time commitment.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, my problem is that the current one is not showing in the Forecast View, I know that I have to complete the current one for next one to appear, but apparently the Forecast view is showing tasks based on Due Date not Start Date.

when I changed the Due Date to Sun 14, the task appeared in the Forecast, when I checked it complete, the next one appeared the next day.

Now this task will repeat forever apparently and won't end on Sun 21 as it's supposed to be, I hope there's a setting to make Forecast View take Start Day into consideration otherwise those terms are not reflecting real life situations.

Ah, perhaps you don't have Forecast view configured to show items starting as well as items due. Go to Forecast view, tap the eyeball icon, and you'll see some options for configuring the view.

Thanks a lot :))

That's the one ... it does the trick

I am so happy I saw this post - I was about to post a note about how much I hate seeing starting items in the forecast. I like to take a look at the forecast to see what I need to do that day. Just because an items starts on a day doesn't mean I have to do it that day. Also if I have the start and due date on same day, it shows up twice if this option is set. (I know, it should probably be on the calendar.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareaarnett View Post
Also if I have the start and due date on same day, it shows up twice if this option is set. (I know, it should probably be on the calendar.)
I see it differently — something that has a start date and a due date on the same day isn't necessarily something for the calendar, but it is something that needs to get done promptly, so having it appear twice gives it more visibility.

As an added bonus, checking such an item off makes the list get smaller faster, so I often do it first :-)