The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone vs Android Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Your friends probably mean well but one thing that I dislike people that give recommendations about products without having really any sales experience.

It's not about what they like Anna it's about what's going to be right for you. I sold iPhones for 3 years and I was always honest with people. I'd say

1. If you live heavily within a Google ecosystem (i.e you use Gmail and Google Calendar and other services RELIGIOUSLY). Get Android. The integration there is nice.

2. If you love to tweak tweak tweak settings and other stuff - Android

3. If you want a HUGE screen Android or Windows Mobile.

If you want to pick up your phone and have consistency, stability and thoughtful design out of the box. iPhone.

I'd wait until Sept 10 so you can get all options. If you purchase an iPhone buy it from an Apple store if possible. Verizon will only give you 14 days to return and back out of your contract. Apple stores give you a full 30 days so you could purchase an iPhone now and if something was announced on Sept 10 you could return and wait for the new phones without incurring any penalties so long as you buy at Apple.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in as I've just gone through the same experience.

I started using an iPhone a few years ago when the 3G came out. I loved it then and it was better than Android at the time. When the 4 came out (somewhere in there) I went to Android. At the time, Android was ahead of iPhone for most things (definitely not music though). I used an iPod touch for OmniFocus and music.

Now I've come full circle and decided to go back to iPhone because I don't want to carry an extra device for music/podcasts etc and omnifocus. I'm using an iPhone 5.

I have to say, Android is now far far superior to iOS. I feel like I've taken a step back 5 years in terms of user experience and ease of use, general capabilities and flexibility, and now even for music and podcasts iOS is marginally ahead if you use iTunes but otherwise it's quite far behind. iOS 7 is a complete rubbish compared to the version of Android I've been using for the past 12 months or so. And even the hardware (Nexus 4) is sturdier, lighter, and more elegant (I never thought I'd say that about an apple device).

The ONY reason I am putting up with a degraded experience is because OmniFocus is so damn good (especially when you use it across mac, ipad, and iphone), and I bet there are plenty of people in my boat. Apple should be paying Omni for this.

Sure you can set up an email=>inbox thing, but I find it provides too much resistance and you miss out on having OF with you for running errands etc.

As for breaking the phone physically, all phones can break if you drop them, not just iPhones. I've used HTC, LG, Samsung, they all get scratched and if you drop them at the wrong angle things break just as easily as the iPhone glass.

5 years ago the iPhone was just 1 year old. The app store was 2 months old 5 years ago. Android was some skunkworks project that nobody knew about.

I realize you were being hyperbolic but there was not one shred of substantive data in your post that supports Android even being on par with iOS let alone superior.

If I was going to provide all the reasons why Android is far superior to iOS it would be a *very* long post, they aren't in the same league. It's like comparing a little Cessna to a jet fighter. I'm not some kind of Android fanboy etc, I'm just saying as someone who has switched between both in the past and recently, iOS is severely lacking. For specifics, well comparing to Android you could start with iOS's shoddy multitasking, crappy notification system, lack of encryption, substandard maps, poorly designed settings access (e.g. you have to open settings to turn on/off basic things like wifi), lack of widgets, etc. This is just off the top of my head, there are just so many things that the experience is considerably degraded.

Anyway my main point is that if you run your life with OmniFocus, it's worth dealing with this and getting an iPhone because simply using email=>inbox etc is just not good enough. I don't regret changing back to an iPhone, I just wish apple would pick up their game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhayes View Post
If I was going to provide all the reasons why Android is far superior to iOS it would be a *very* long post, they aren't in the same league. It's like comparing a little Cessna to a jet fighter. I'm not some kind of Android fanboy etc, I'm just saying as someone who has switched between both in the past and recently, iOS is severely lacking. For specifics, well comparing to Android you could start with iOS's shoddy multitasking, crappy notification system, lack of encryption, substandard maps, poorly designed settings access (e.g. you have to open settings to turn on/off basic things like wifi), lack of widgets, etc. This is just off the top of my head, there are just so many things that the experience is considerably degraded.

Anyway my main point is that if you run your life with OmniFocus, it's worth dealing with this and getting an iPhone because simply using email=>inbox etc is just not good enough. I don't regret changing back to an iPhone, I just wish apple would pick up their game.
Android's multitasking comes at the expense of battery life.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049...-the-hype.html

Galaxy S4 trounced.

iPhone has great encryption which is why it gets rolled out by the millions to the Enterprise. Maps? Overblown …Google's Points of Interest are better but I like iOS 7's vector maps. Note that Google didn't move to Vector maps until AFTER Apple delivered their solution. Oh yes the Mapkit SDK is better as well.

Widgets? Suck power and cause clutter. Actually Siri will handle a lot of those settings now.

I realize that some people just jive better with Android and that's fine but I think both are solid OS. Omnigroup just happens to have a wealth of experience with iOS/OS X