The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Any ideas on how to stop the constant iDisk syncing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Something that's annoying and is probably a slight cpu suck is the constant iDisk syncing due to my OmniFocus file changing so often. Almost every time I look at the sidebar in Finder, it is downloading changes (and it's almost always OminFocus.ofocus).

Would setting the target directory to save the file to one of the non-synced folders help? Saving to 'Backup', 'Library', or something like that?

Hope that question makes sense and maybe someone has tried it.

This is probably better answered by someone from Omni Group, but I vaguely remember reading that it was recommended to turn off iDisk Sync in your System Preferences.

You'll still be able to access your iDisk, but only remotely. And without the local copy, you'll get a fair amount of disk space back as well.

-Dennis

I was having a similar problem with MobileMe syncing. Running the smooshing script solved this problem for me.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...87&postcount=1

I think that's a different issue, SpiralOcean. It sounds like danielandrews is talking about his iDisk syncing in the Finder (controlled from System Preferences -> MobileMe -> iDisk), not OmniFocus syncing.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I think that's a different issue, SpiralOcean. It sounds like danielandrews is talking about his iDisk syncing in the Finder (controlled from System Preferences -> MobileMe -> iDisk), not OmniFocus syncing.

-Dennis
That's right - sorry that I didn't make that more clear. I was just wondering if setting OmniFocus to sync to a different directory, one like /Backup or /Library, would solve the issue if your local iDisk having do download changes every few minutes.

If you try to manually sync to /Backup or /Library inside the iDisk, you get an error, so I was wondering if there was a known way to get around that.

Last edited by danielandrews; 2008-11-26 at 02:26 PM..

Open up System Preferences, .Mac or MobileMe, click on the iDisk tab, set the synchronization to Manual instead of Automatic. As I recall, you'll get a little circular arrow dohickey next to the iDisk which if clicked will cause a sync to happen. To the best of my recollection, you can't write anywhere on the iDisk volume that wouldn't be synced.

I still think having another program (MobileMe iDisk sync) trying to sync your precious OmniFocus data file between your machine and the MobileMe server without following the locking protocols used by OmniFocus is placing a lot of faith in the notion that Murphy's Law doesn't apply to you :) My inclination, if I had to have an offline copy of my iDisk, would be to make my own disk image and use a third-party sync utility that could be configured to ignore the OmniFocus data file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielandrews View Post
That's right - sorry that I didn't make that more clear. I was just wondering if setting OmniFocus to sync to a different directory, one like /Backup or /Library, would solve the issue if your local iDisk having do download changes every few minutes.
Storing your sync database on an unsynchronized portion of your iDisk is a very good idea, if such a place can be found.

Quote:
If you try to manually sync to /Backup or /Library inside the iDisk, you get an error, so I was wondering if there was a known way to get around that.
I don't see any writable locations in Library, but I found that I was able to sync into the top level of the Backup folder of my iDisk. That feels like a somewhat misleading place to store our synchronization data by default (I wouldn't want someone thinking they didn't need their "backup"), but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to choose that location yourself.

Meanwhile, I'll ask Apple if there's another unsynchronized location that we can safely store OmniFocus data in. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll be trying /Backup for a while & see how that works out. It should stop the constant loop of iDisk downloads, and should also eliminate the false conflicts when the local disk is trying to sync up.

Maybe a better solution can be found at some point - seems like /Library would be a perfect spot for it, so fingers crossed.