The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Scroll wheel support is broken Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
Scrolling in background windows is not generally supported in Mac OS X... (try it in mail or safari).

We used to add support for that in OmniWeb but we lost it when we switched to WebKit. We will try to reimplement it for the final release.
It's probably not that important a feature to have to be able to scroll background windows. If I had to choose between the window and the tab drawer, I'd rather just have background tab drawers scrolling.

This is probably another side-effect of switching to WebKit, but scrolling is also way faster than it used to be. It could be that it feels faster with smooth scrolling missing, or that it is just faster, but I have to say that I like the speed of the 5.1.3. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I believe smooth scrolling was another feature we lost in the switch to webcore--if so, we will try to reimplement it for the final release.
Len, I just moved to another computer running sp11 (same version as my main computer), except this computer uses a microsoft mouse with scroll wheel. Scrolling is smooth when using this (which seems to be using the default OS scrolling facility, and no 3rd party mouse drivers.)

On the main computer, I'm using the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro trackball with their software, and the scrolling is choppy (large jumps). So it would seem that the scrolling issue was not lost in the transition to webkit when using the built-in OS scrolling, only for the kensington software (in my example).

Is this something that will be entered as a bug, or is it something people should take up with 3rd-party mouse driver vendors?

-Craig

I'm using a cheapy Logitech Click! Optical Mouse, no 3rd-party USB drivers, and it jump scrolls (no smooth scrolling). OS X 10.4.6 for PPC, OW 5.5sp11 (v586).

So do the developers have to do anything to support smooth scrolling?

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1453.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by udecker
Is this something that will be entered as a bug, or is it something people should take up with 3rd-party mouse driver vendors?
I can confirm with my issue (the Kensington Trackball) that it is the MouseWorks program causing the problem, and not OW.

I uninstalled MouseWorks (after upgrading it to 3.0r1) to see if that would fix the problem, and when it's uninstalled, the OS scrolling facility works properly (smooth with acceleration) in OW 5.5 SP15.

-Craig