The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Red Badges v. Orange Badges Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I actually prefer the current behavior -- I didn't like being unnecessarily stressed out by the red non-overdue items that were displayed as such. I agree, though, that a preference for the default time would be nice, as would a third color. (I'd probably vote for something in the same family -- maybe a darker red for over due, a yellower orange for coming soon, and something in between for today.) As for the assertion that

Quote:
I have absolutely no way of distinguishing 'today' items from items that may be due tomorrow or the next day, etc
if in context view, you group by due date, you'll see sections for yesterday, today & tomorrow (as well as further out). And, as ptone pointed out, the ambiguity in other views already existed....

The new default time for due items was much requested in other threads. I think I like it, though I'm withholding judgment for a few days. I also like the idea of three colors for coming soon, due sometime today, and late. Unfortunately we're starting to have too many colors for that to effectively communicate. Green would seem to be the only unused color in the basic rainbow. Maybe due soon could be green, sometime today orange, and late red. Those who are red-green colorblind would assuredly disagree, though not seeing with their eyes I don't know if they've already been left behind with the current color scheme.

Also, note that the default start time is still 12am. So if I enter "today" for both the start and due dates I get a task that should already have begun, but is not yet late. That makes sense to me.

Curt

Don't forget that you can group and sort actions by due date, which lets you distinguish between orange actions due today at 11:59 pm and those that are due later.

That said, I would like to see the due time be a user-customizable preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
While I actually agree with the idea of 3 colors, or having due "Today" being red. I have to point out the that same uncertainty existed before. You couldn't tell the difference between things that were overdue, or due today. .

-P
For me that was a much more acceptable situation. I don't really have any interest in distinguishing whether something is 'overdue' from whether it is due today. Things that are 'overdue' are simply things to deal with today -- either by doing them today or by changing their date to sometime in the future. Any uncertainty is quickly resolved by a very short review.

Mixing today items with near-future items is much more insidious -- for one thing I typically have far more near-future items than I do overdue items, and for another I am constantly creating new action items that now (or soon will) fall into this category. Unless I am willing to vigilantly check the due times on these orange-badged items, they will represent categories that are completely untrustworthy, and therefore useless.

This situation can be easily resolved (by creating a default due time preference), and I hope it will be.

Last edited by otter; 2007-12-15 at 02:01 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprugman View Post
if in context view, you group by due date, you'll see sections for yesterday, today & tomorrow (as well as further out). And, as ptone pointed out, the ambiguity in other views already existed....
Which would be the way I was using OF prior to the introduction of badges.

If I am forced to do this, I might as well turn the badges off, because they have ceased to provide useful information (or to be more precise, the conflicting information outweighs the useful information ... ).

This would be unfortunate, because they are one of the better features of OF.

I prefer to spend my time doing things rather than uselessly filtering and re-filtering information -- I want to minimize kludgy workarounds for problems that don't need to exist in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
The new default time for due items was much requested in other threads. I think I like it, though I'm withholding judgment for a few days. I also like the idea of three colors for coming soon, due sometime today, and late. Unfortunately we're starting to have too many colors for that to effectively communicate. Green would seem to be the only unused color in the basic rainbow. Maybe due soon could be green, sometime today orange, and late red. Those who are red-green colorblind would assuredly disagree, though not seeing with their eyes I don't know if they've already been left behind with the current color scheme.

Also, note that the default start time is still 12am. So if I enter "today" for both the start and due dates I get a task that should already have begun, but is not yet late. That makes sense to me.
I organize my life in terms of days, not hours, minutes, or microseconds.

It doesn't make any sense to force me to care about due times when they are completely irrelevant to me.

If start dates and due times are useful to you, wonderful, but I don't want to unnecessarily want to complicate my life by devoting a single thought (or keystroke) to them.

(Off-topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Green would seem to be the only unused color in the basic rainbow. Maybe due soon could be green, sometime today orange, and late red. Those who are red-green colorblind would assuredly disagree, though not seeing with their eyes I don't know if they've already been left behind with the current color scheme.
If you'd like to see with our eyes, try putting your system into greyscale mode (System Preferences > Universal Access, Display: Use Greyscale). If you can't tell the difference between two known colors because the shades are too close, then many colorblind folks can't tell either.

There's also software available to replicate what various colorblind users would see.)

I want the default time 12:00 AM back, PLEASE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1304 View Post
I would like to see one step beyond:
overdue: red
today: blue
tomorrow: orange
And I do not need due times!
Hi -
I like the colors, I can't figure out why they change from red to orange - it seems to have something to do with the times.......???

I would like to see more preferences as well. I do not mind a cluttered preference window if I can pick and choose how I want the program to operate for me. I would like a default to not set any exact time of day - yet, I want the option to add a time to be there for me if I need it. I would like to set my own preference to choose the colors for my actions. i.e. If it's due in one day-orange, 2 days-magenta, 1 week-purple, 1 month-green, over due, etc.

Give me preferences - I love 'em!

Sandra

Quote:
I would like to set my own preference to choose the colors for my actions. i.e. If it's due in one day-orange, 2 days-magenta, 1 week-purple, 1 month-green, over due, etc.
That sounds great! How about that?
Quote:
I organize my life in terms of days, not hours, minutes, or microseconds.
So do I and I would love to get a preference to work just with dates and not times. How about that?

I would love OF just more than today (I bought it), if those preferences would be implemented in future versions!