The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My current context list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All!
I just wanted to share my current OF context list as some of you might find it helpful. I've spent a lot of time fiddling with my context and as a tool-based approach didn't quite fit well my needs, I ended up with contexts which in fact denote the state of mind I tend to be at repeatedly plus kind of work I perform.

I work as an IT consultant/Project manager and therefore have most of my job-related actions performed using my computer or iPhone, using @computer would therefore result into a long list of actions all falling in this single category. So here goes my current working setup:

Focused
- am typically off-line staying focused on writing something (a report, final account, ...)
- usually I schedule and allot a time for this in my calendar

Creative/Thinking
- brainstorming, planning projects, jotting down ideas, creating outlines of future documents, ...
- might be online and distracted by communication

Command/Control
- communication by email, phone, sms, ...
- generally project-related work moving things forward
- i.e. doing minutes of a meeting, scheduling appointments, reading mail would go here

Analyze/Study
- i tend to study a lot: languages, ITIL processess, Project management methodology
- all this kind of reading, study, on-line reading goes in here
- i typically schedule this in calendar as well

Admin/Maint
- typically a tool-dependent maintenance goes in here - i.e. cleanup in OF database, OS updates, calendar and contacts maintenance, filing reference material to EN, ...

Aside to aforementioned categories I obviously keep location-based contexts such as home, office but put there tasks which only can get done there. I.e. printing @color printer which I happen to have only @office. Or broadband downloads also accessible only from office.

Plus I have the typical Agendas context with individual people and a weekly managerial meeting as subcontexts. And last there comes the Errands category for all my shopping, post office pickups, ...

And that's it. So in my case no call grouping, email context whatsoever. I however use cautiously action verbs to be able to see what tool the action requires. I carry my iPhone, MBA all the time with me, so there's no point for me having those listed as individual contexts.

So far, this has been working good for me. How about you, what do you use?

Thanks for sharing. I have a Call context, but I like your idea of the Command/Control context for all communications, not just calls, but email and messages as well.

I have to say, I've been coming to this thread repeatedly within the past few days and love the dynamic of changing my contexts from iPhone, online, driving.. To the ones you've mentioned.

I believe I'm gonna try out. Just had to post in this thread before doing so.

:)

I have a Call context, but I like your idea of the Command/Control context for all communications, not just calls, but email and messages as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcia View Post
Thanks for sharing. I have a Call context, but I like your idea of the Command/Control context for all communications, not just calls, but email and messages as well.
While I like the Command/Control concept. I might use that as a superset context as follows:

Command/Control
- Call
- eMail

The main reason for this is when I am out in places like an airport. To me, an email generally takes longer and is more thought out. If I have 5 minutes to spare, I might get one or two calls knocked off. I like having the separation so I don't have to scan each one on what I need to do. One of the things that David mentioned in his book is when you are in process mode, you want to be able to process, not have to think about what you can do at that point in time. To that extent, I try and keep my contexts pretty focussed, using the hierarchy to open up the spread.

In writing this, another thought came to mind. I could do something similar with Estimated Time. I'll have to think about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian View Post
Focused
Creative/Thinking
Command/Control
Analyze/Study
Admin/Maint
Concerning your nickname I guess you speak Russian. After OmniFocus for iPhone and iPad got Russian localization I renamed all of my context in Russian too. Could you tell yours translation of these contexts above? Usually it's quite difficult to find appropriate translation with correct meaning and short words.