The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How can we 'bookmark' pages from Opera Mini web browser for iPhone? (just released) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I used to LOVE Opera Mini on my Blackberry

It was WAY better than the BB browser.

And I used it to post on VBulletin forums like this one..

Now Apple have just allowed the Opera Mini iPhone app

So far, I think I am enjoying its:

'Mobile view'
fast loading
extra large font

Using Opera Mini means less screen zooming pinch actions.
The scroll - read it BIG - scroll - read it BIG operation suits me.

But of course it doesnt have the bookmark to Omnifocus functionality that Safari does.

It DOES however have the ability to copy (and sync?) your bookmarks - if you register somehow with Opera... So I was wondering.. does that open a back door to some clever way to get Opera Mini iPhone app to send page URLS to Omnifocus? (via browser syncing? :confused:)

Thanks OF comrades!

Last edited by Casper TFG; 2010-04-21 at 08:53 AM..

Casper, I talked with one of the folks on the engineering team about this today. Paraphrasing his email below:

1) You can add bookmarks to Opera directly on the device. (No account is needed.)

2) Web-based bookmarklets with javascript worked (Instapaper or Evernote for example). We suppose these are pushed off for processing on Opera's servers before returning to the browser on the device.

3) Unfortunately, our bookmarklet doesn't work, because it relies upon a feature of the iPhone OS that Opera doesn't support. (Specifically, we use this part: Application URL Schemes.)

Opera Mini doesn't know what to do with our URL scheme, so it just decides that the URL can't be reached. This is something we could work around eventually by offering a server of our own, but in the short term, you may want to ask Opera about supporting device-level url schemes.

Arguably, it would make their app feel more natural on the iphone. :-)

Hope this helps!

V cool, many thanks.

I am still on the fence about Opera.

I want to like it.

I will try to pass this on and push for it.
Thanks again.