The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Search for a Project to select it? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've had OF iPad for a couple of weeks but still trying to get my head around ways to really use it as a useful tool. Today I wanted to check something in a specific Project, one of hundreds nested within folders my Projects, so I used Search to find it and it came up quickly in the list of found items. However, there seems to be no way to then select that Project to work on it. Touching the item in the list produces a dialogue box that allows you to edit the name and other aspects of the Project in the same way as the Inspector in OF for Mac, but there seems to be no way to "launch" that Project... ie, to make it a focused search.
Using Search to find a specific Context is worse... it doesn't seem to recognise Contexts at all.
The only option to find them is to finger scroll through endless data.
Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchit View Post
I've had OF iPad for a couple of weeks but still trying to get my head around ways to really use it as a useful tool. Today I wanted to check something in a specific Project, one of hundreds nested within folders my Projects, so I used Search to find it and it came up quickly in the list of found items. However, there seems to be no way to then select that Project to work on it. Touching the item in the list produces a dialogue box that allows you to edit the name and other aspects of the Project in the same way as the Inspector in OF for Mac, but there seems to be no way to "launch" that Project... ie, to make it a focused search.
After you get the list of results, tap and hold on the desired one to get a popup menu. Choose Focus.
Quote:
Using Search to find a specific Context is worse... it doesn't seem to recognise Contexts at all.
The only option to find them is to finger scroll through endless data.
Am I missing something?
You don't have an endless list of contexts, do you? Tap Contexts in the sidebar, then tap the > button at the end of the line. This should give you a list of all of your top-level contexts in the sidebar. If you need to drill into one of those, tap the > button at the end of the appropriate line.

Another option: search for something you know is in the target context. When you find it, tap it once to bring up the editor, tap the Info button (if necessary), tap the Go to Context button.

Thank you whpalmer4, once again to the rescue. My OF for iPad is now a useful tool :)
Some of these features might seem obvious but, call me old-fashioned, I'd like to know about them by browsing a pdf manual. There doesn't seem to be one in Omni's online support area. Am I missing something there too?!

You don't like reading the one in the app? The tap and hold to focus bit is mentioned on the Focus and View page, certainly, and possibly elsewhere. It is also demonstrated at about 2:19 into the video, although from a different context.

I've asked why they don't publish the iPad apps' documentation as web pages as it is evidently HTML, using a built-in browser to view it, but apparently I was insufficiently persuasive. They did it with the iPhone app: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10168

Maybe the idea is that no competitor will be willing to spend $40 or $50 to see what features they need to copy? :D

Sending feedback that you want a PDF document is probably the way to make it happen sooner.

Thanks once again whpalmer4. I'll do as you suggest.
Given the often repeated complaint by Omni's prospective customers that OF is difficult to learn, I would have thought that Omni would cover all bases in making it easier for punters to get the gist of their product. The support pages should be consistent. If they offer pdf manuals for most of their products, then they should offer them for all. Lots of people are used to pdf manuals. They should adhere to the old saying: give the customers what they want ...or they'll continue to drift off to products like Things that are easier to pick up and use but far inferior in terms of capability.

The impression I got was that they do intend to publish some sort of document, but that the engineers are cranking out new products and versions faster than the documentation crew can keep up, and they don't want to put the effort in to publish something that is about to be quickly out of date.

Yeah, I guess it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of thing. I think one of the areas where Omni has a market weak spot is ease of use (whether perceived or real) and they should throw resources at it. A lot of people can't be bothered sifting through fora to find answers.