The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Styles: Single Action, Next Action Spacing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello folks.

I'm trying to figure out why OmniFocus won't let me adjust the Single Action and Next Action spacing in the Style preference. I can adjust their parent Actions spacing, and their sibling's Action Groups spacing.

All of the Status-Based Styles are likewise locked down.

Bug or Feature?

I think all that is going on here is that OF doesn't allow you have different spacing between actions depending on their status. Probably makes the redisplay code simpler, though I don't have any basis for suggesting that to be a reason.

If you could change them all independently, what would you do?

Right now I'm just trying to get them so they're spaced *the same* as other items around them!

My Actions are set to
Row Spacing: 6
Child Spacing: 4
Child Indent: 16

Next Actions are the same (and unchangeable).

But Single Actions are set to
Row Spacing: 0
Child Spacing: 0
Child Indent: 16

Making them way tighter than the rest of my list, and it's driving me bonkers.

(This is a recent change; I'm unclear what I did or happened that caused this.)

Do you have many styling changes? You could just hit the reset button and re-apply the ones you want...Sounds a bit like your preferences file might have gotten corrupted somehow, which is a good argument for saving the settings as a theme when you get them "just so" — easier to restore!

I would try changing the Action settings first, to see if they yank the Single Action ones into line.

You might keep a copy of your preferences file as it is now to send to the support ninjas. Maybe they can figure out what went bump in the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Do you have many styling changes? You could just hit the reset button and re-apply the ones you want...Sounds a bit like your preferences file might have gotten corrupted somehow, which is a good argument for saving the settings as a theme when you get them "just so" — easier to restore!
I have styled my text rather extensively, and have saved them, and did try resetting; even a reset still has the options greyed out. I'm guessing something got corrupted to cause the numbers to be "off", but they are supposed to be greyed out.

Quote:
I would try changing the Action settings first, to see if they yank the Single Action ones into line.
It certainly looks like it's supposed to, and...

Quote:
You might keep a copy of your preferences file as it is now to send to the support ninjas. Maybe they can figure out what went bump in the night.
I figured out the issue. If you Copy and Paste a style (say, Actions to Single Actions), the target style is reset to some baseline (Row/Child Spacing 0, Helvetica 12, etc.).

Definitely a bug, and about to be filed.

Good detective work! The paste behavior you describe sounds like a bug to me, too.

Yeah, I would expect the numbers are supposed to be greyed out, as I previously theorized. I guess I didn't spell it out, but I thought the reset would put the single action values back to their proper values, not make them editable. Now that you've had a chance to experience the alternative where action spacing varies depending on action type, do you think it is an issue that you can't edit those values independently?

I'm not sure yet about editing them manually. I think there's a case for it, though I can't yet articulate it, mainly because I can't edit them manually to see if the idea works.

I know when they're "wrong" it's terrible, and being able to adjust them manually to be "right" would have been useful.