The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better handling of repeating/recurring tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all,

I really would like to see OmniGroup handle repeating/recurring tasks better. The recent addition of day-specific tasks was a huge step forward, and there's one major fix I want now.

When I have a task that repeats daily (say, "eat breakfast"), and for some reason I manage to skip a few days, the next time I go and check off "eat breakfast", I get all skipped tasks that also need to be checked off.

I wish OmniFocus was smart enough to realize that the "next day" I should do the task is in the future, not in the past.

Is there a way to set this up now that I'm missing?

For example, a task of "eat breakfast", repeating every day, starting and due on April 16. Go on vacation, don't act on that task for a week. Upon return complete the April 16 action on April 25.

My expectation: the next "eat breakfast" shows up April 26. Instead, I get a new task for April 17, 18 19... 25.

Set your task to Start again instead of Repeat every.

Late response....

Unfortunately "Start again" does not give the options to select which days an items will repeat. For example, it doesn't allow me to limit to weekdays, or to M-W-F.

A concrete example:

* Daily task, starting on and due on 8/20, M-F only
* Don't do those tasks 8/20, 21, 22, 23, 24.
* On 8/25, complete the task originally due on 8/20.
* The next task would be due on 8/27, and the items for 8/21-24 effectively don't exist.

There's an iPad app that does this, and it's very handy, but it's ugly and has many other issues that make it basically unusable.

Do others have this issue? Is there a better way of setting up these types of repeating tasks?