The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Difficulty selecting multiple items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For some reason, when I try to select multiple items in the right hand pane using the Apple key or the Shift key, I can't click on the name of the entry itself. If I do, it simply edits the entry and deselects my previous selection. On the other hand, if I click on the arrow to expand the entry or if I click on the icon (the envelope) then it does select multiple items as I intended. However, in the left hand pane I can click anywhere on the entry to select multiple items.

Is this intentional or is this a bug?

This is by design and is the same way OmniOutliner has worked for years. I guess the idea is to make editing entries in the content area as quick and easy as possible - to make it feel like a regular text editor or word processor.

To move a row in the content area, grab it by the "handle" on the left (the bullet that appears when you hover), or you can drag the row by its checkbox.

But I wonder if it might be better to require a double-click to put a row in edit mode, thereby allowing entries to be selected and dragged by clicking anywhere in the row. I'm curious to hear the opinions of other users and OG's response.

Last edited by Toadling; 2007-12-24 at 08:15 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
For some reason, when I try to select multiple items in the right hand pane using the Apple key or the Shift key, I can't click on the name of the entry itself. If I do, it simply edits the entry and deselects my previous selection. On the other hand, if I click on the arrow to expand the entry or if I click on the icon (the envelope) then it does select multiple items as I intended. However, in the left hand pane I can click anywhere on the entry to select multiple items.

Is this intentional or is this a bug?
This is a bug, though it is true that OmniOutliner has the same bug. Since you've held down a modifier flag, we should really treat the click as a row selection operation. We've logged this, bug make sure to use Help > Send Feedback to mention that it's bugging you so we can prioritize it correctly.