The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reverse Focus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like the idea how you can be in project mode, select a few items, hit Focus, then move to context mode, and the focus remains intact.

Does anybody see any usefulness in going the other direction?

I found myself in context mode, I had an action selected, and I wanted to change some items related to it (Planning type work).

However when I switched to Project mode, the action item was lost in the sea of action items, I of course found it again using search, but wouldn't it be useful if:

1. you are in Context mode
2. you have an Action selected
3. you click Focus
4. you switch to Planning mode
5. your action is still selected and the project it is assigned to is displayed before you

If you have an action selected in Context mode, and select View > Show in Planning Mode (command-option-r), you'll be switched to Planning mode with the action selected.

That helps!

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
If you have an action selected in Context mode, and select View > Show in Planning Mode (command-option-r), you'll be switched to Planning mode with the action selected.
I have lots of folders of projects. When I'm in planning mode, how do I find the folder hierarchy where a task is?

Victor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Note also that you can focus when you're in Context view. Just select an action and hit the focus button (or menu item). This wasn't obvious to me, either, until Ken pointed it out in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDiesel View Post
I have lots of folders of projects. When I'm in planning mode, how do I find the folder hierarchy where a task is?
I have a need for this too.

My workaround is when I am in planning mode, right-click a task and click "Show in Context Mode" then right click again and "Show in Planning Mode"

voila! the project will be selected in planning mode on the lefthand side.

yes, it's a bit hokey but it works.

Is there a more straightforward way to accomplish this?

I often need to do this "hack" when searching for a project in the hierarchy.

I'd prefer not have to backtrack to a straight list - hierarchy is one of the best features in OF and why I am choosing it over Things and the GTD Outlook Add-in at the moment!

You can add the button named "Switch" to your toolbar, clicking on it takes you to the selected item in the other mode.

You can also use the keyboard command Option+Command+R to do the same thing.

I believe this is what you are looking for. And it's already part of OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
You can add the button named "Switch" to your toolbar, clicking on it takes you to the selected item in the other mode.
nope - doesn't work. it goes to the other view and just comes back.

it doesn't show the project the action is located in.

I'm looking for a way to right-click on an action and have OF zoom in, select, and show me which project it is in in the Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarut View Post
nope - doesn't work. it goes to the other view and just comes back.

it doesn't show the project the action is located in.

I'm looking for a way to right-click on an action and have OF zoom in, select, and show me which project it is in in the Library.
If I choose an action in Context Mode and click Switch, it goes to Planning Mode and selects the same action also highlighting the project it's part of.

Does the same thing the other way too.

So how is that not what you are describing?

Wait, you mean when you are in planning mode with an action selected, you want to see which project it's part of?

I don't really see how that would be useful, when the name of the project is already shown as a dropdown above the list of actions in the project that you have an action selected in.

Clicking Switch twice does do that, but I don't understand when that would even be needed :)