The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

import into Word/discontinous tasks/design of bars Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Three questions:

1. What would be the best file format to import a Gantt chart into Word?

2. And why is not possible to have discontinous tasks? Or is there any work around?

3. I would also like to be able to change the size, format and colors of the various task bars in a given chart even though they belong to the same group.

Best and thanks,

Alexander

1. I'm not sure. I don't have a copy of Word handy. I'd suggest trying all 4 of the image formats (PDF, PNG, TIFF, JPEG) and see which one looks best.

2. It is not currently possible to have discontinuous tasks. The only work around I can think of is to create two separate tasks: "Thing to do - Part 1" and "Thing to do - Part 2". Obviously this is not a very good workaround. We are looking at adding discontinuous tasks in a future version of OmniPlan. If you have examples of why you need that feature, or ideas about how it should work, I encourage you to email our Support Ninjas (omniplan@omnigroup.com), so that we can consider your feedback as we plan.

3. You can change the color of any task bar right now. We're considering making the height adjustable in a future version. I'm not sure what you mean by changing the format, though.

Last edited by Lizard; 2008-12-04 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: forgot Q3

1. It would also help to know what version of Word you are using - 2004 and earlier have dismal support for standard formats on the Mac.

Dear both,

First of all, many thanks!

re 1: The latest, Word for Mac 2008. I am afraid my question was also somewhat imprecise. Here's another try: Can I "only" import a chartt as an image (en bloc, so to speak) or would there be any way to adjust anything within Word, for instance the lettering etc.

re 2: Sorry for repeating that question in the first place. I realized only afterwards that somebody had posted an almost identitical one before. Well, simply because a task might be continous. I am a historian and go to archives a lot, often working with the same files there over an extended period of time. Hence it would be helpful if "Archival research" would be one task (because it is basically always the same) but spread over time in the Gant Chartt.

re 3: How would I change the color? I do not seem to find such an option. And, yes, I was thinking of:
- adjusting the height (making them somewhat slimmer) or
- adjusting the edges, for instance (not round but square).

Thanks so very much!

Alexander

1. A gantt chart can only be exported as a single image. Word wouldn't be able to edit much about it. You could modify the image with some other software like OmniGraffle or PhotoShop, before dropping it into Word.

2. No worries.

3. Color change: This is in the Project: Styles inspector. You can select a single task to change its color, or select a type of tasks to change the default styles. (For example, make all 'Overdue Tasks' turn red.) You can also create your own 'named styles' if, for example, you want all meetings to be a certain color, or have bold text.

Adjusting Height: hmmm...most people want them taller. Interesting.
Adjusting Edges: right now we use the ends of the task (round vs. square) to communicate whether the task's start & end dates are flexible or locked. So I suppose you could make all your start and end dates square by locking them, but that would also interfere with OmniPlan's scheduling calculations. Probably not the best plan. Again, I encourage you to send our Support Ninjas an email explaining all the formatting you're interested in.

Again, many thanks! Much appreciated,

Alexander