The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exporting from OmniGraffle Pro to Office 2010 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sorry if this is a FAQ but I couldn't find it quickly...

I just purchased Omnigraffle pro and love it. Unfortunately I am required to take my figure and import it into Microsoft Office Word 2010 on windows. What is the best way to do this? My first attempts failed in various ways with Word unable to import the eps file. The PCT file came up very wrong. I think SVG would hold some promise but need a way to convert from SVG to EMF or something?

Regards,
Jeff

You may need to use a protocol that is portable (between the Mac and Windoze), not one that is stuck to one side only. Try File/Export to PNG or PDF or JPEG. You can choose: entire document; canvas; etc, but for what I think you are doing (copying an OG graphic into a Word doc), use "current selection". On the Export dialogue, there are additional settings as well. Once you get used to it, it is quite easy.

On the Word side, insert it as a picture from a file.

After gaining some experience, in your particular Word doc needs, you will be better able to choose the options that suit you.

I agree.l I have had no problem importing JPGs into the Office Apps and I believe PNG also.

For printing/publishing purposes I need to use a vector graphic form. Is there any vector graphic format that I can use that both omnigraffle and word truly support?

I had a feeling that was your requirement .. and I have had the same requirement... but I haven't found a solution to that one.

I do not understand what you mean. Word does not "truly support" or "support" and format (therefore the requirement cannot ever be fulfilled). It just let's you embed images in the Word doc. The image can be any format you like.

For printing purposes, of course, use a format for the embedded image that turns out nicely. That is usually accomplished with PDF or PNG or JPEG (in the embedded image).

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-10-20 at 01:02 PM..

I'm a new user of Omnigraffle for Mac. After completing a diagram I want to export the file for use in Word for Mac 2011. Which format will give me the cleanest import?

Check this thread. Does that info help?

That's exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks.

Combined threads, edited title for better search-ability.