The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Mark all items read" -- why has this never worked? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not a heavy RSS user. I don't need anything fancy like NetNewsWire, and OmniWeb's basic RSS support seems to be enough for me.

But there's one thing that I find very annoying about it. When I use the Dock menu's "Mark All Items Read" command, the "number of new items" badge on the icon disappears for a flash, then reappears. The stories are indeed gone from the Dock menu, but the badge remains, and now the only way to get rid of it is to quit and restart the program. If OW happens to live in your Dock, you have to quit and restart it TWICE to get it to go away (or remove it from the Dock and re-add it, before starting it back up), because in that case it won't get rid of the badge until you quit.

To be clear, I'm talking about the "Mark All Items Read" command in the main Dock menu, not the individual ones in the submenus for each site. I can't remember if those ones work or not, because generally the main one is the one I want.

When I first started using OW 5.0, I thought "okay, bit of a bug here, I'm sure it'll be sorted in the next update." But update after update failed to fix it, and here we are on version 5.5 (b3), and it's still happening. This is baffling to me. How hard can it be to sort this out?

One other little request. I wish there was a way to set how often RSS feeds are updated by default. The overall preference for "check sites for changes" is not the place I want to specify this, because I don't want it checking *all* bookmarks for changes. I just wish I could tell it to make RSS feeds update every hour by default. Can't find a way to do that without making it check every bookmark every hour.

I just spent 5 minutes trying to reproduce the problem with the "Mark as Viewed" dock menu--it seems to be working fine for me. I will check around at Omni and see if anyone else is experiencing the problem. By the way, the flash issue might be some sort of caching problem with the dock--thus explaining the other symptoms as well.

Also, you ought to be able to set the change checking frequency on RSS feed in the bookmark info pane--just select the feed. I cannot guarantee that it works (since I never use it personally) but that is how it is supposed to work.

Last edited by Len Case; 2006-08-19 at 10:39 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I just spent 5 minutes trying to reproduce the problem with the "Mark as Viewed" dock menu--it seems to be working fine for me. I will check around at Omni and see if anyone else is experiencing the problem. By the way, the flash issue might be some sort of caching problem with the dock--thus explaining the other symptoms as well.
Thanks Len.

Not sure what's causing it, but it's been happening since OW 5.0, on all the different machines I've used it on (in OS X 10.3 and 10.4 and all the updates).

Try this. Add OW to the Dock (before launching it). Subscribe to a couple new RSS feeds and make sure the OW Dock icon has new items from at least two different RSS feeds. Select the main "Mark all items read" (not the same command in one of the individual feeds).

I don't know whether it matters if there are new items in two or more feeds; the main clue I've gathered is that it's the command in the main Dock menu that causes the issue. It seems when I use the same command in the individual submenu for each feed, that works fine.

By the way, if it matters, my Dock is placed on the left, and pinned to the "end" position (bottom). I haven't installed and don't use any 3rd party modifications or enhancements that change the Dock in any way. The closest thing would be LiteSwitch X, which (afaik) doesn't modify the Dock at all; it merely restarts it so it can take over the Command-Tab shortcut. Every other app that uses icon badges works fine. I doubt there's anything wrong with my Dock, and as I mentioned, I've experienced this on several different computers and OS revisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
Also, you ought to be able to set the change checking frequency on RSS feed in the bookmark info pane--just select the feed. I cannot guarantee that it works (since I never use it personally) but that is how it is supposed to work.
Yes, I can set the update frequency for each RSS bookmark manually. What I wanted to do, though, is set all RSS feeds to update every hour by default (a global preference -- so as not to have to keep setting it manually for each one), without also setting all my regular bookmarks to update that often as well. Seems it can't be done at this time, as RSS feeds are treated basically the same as bookmarks.

FWIW, I experienced this incorrect badge display with the individual RSS feed "Mark All as viewed" option from the Dock menu yesterday.

I've always had issues similar with this with all the 5.5's. I thought it was a known issue?

It is in our issues database actually. I know we've investigated the issue in the past and need to look into it again since we (obviously) haven't found a solution yet.