The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OW won't download completely Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone :)

Is anyone else having a problem downloading the OmniWeb betas or RC1?

It only occasionally happens with other downloads, but when I try to download the next OW beta or RC, it always takes me several goes to get the whole file.

OmniWeb will stop, saying something like "3.2 MB download complete", when the file is 10 MB. The last beta, I had to download so many times, I lost count. Eventually I got the full 10 MB.

I've already had three goes at RC1 today. It's just "completed", again, on 3.9 MB. I can't resume the downloads, because OW thinks they're complete. I have to reload the whole thing.

This does happen occasionally with other files, and it can be irritating. It happened on my PPC iBook, and it happens on this Intel-based MacBook. I'd love to get rid of this behaviour for good.

Is there any way I can fix it? <hopefully>

The OW RC1 download has just "completed" again on 5.9 MB... :(

Have you tried using the alternate download site?

Sorry I don't know why you are having this problem.

Well, well... I finally stopped reloading the same file, and went back and used the alternate download site. The file downloaded completely, the first time.

I hope that makes sense to somebody. I'll start trying alternative sites when this happens. Anything that works is worth a try.

Heh, I didn't reload the page before I posted this, so I didn't see Ken's reply. Snap. I wish I'd thought of it before.

Clytie - PM me with your IP, and I'll look at server logs. Folks download from that site all over the world, including Australia, so you should not be having any problems.

There are two things that can affect this that are triggered server-side - prodigious use of "download accelerators" and if you are using certain Russian or Chinese proxies.

Thanks for the offer. The trouble is, I don't have a set IP. My ISP uses a server farm which rotates IPs. I doubt if it does that within the time it takes to download 10MB using broadband, though. And I can download other things.

Would it be useful if next time this happens, I grab the IP and send it?

I don't use "download accelerators" at all (unless OW has them hidden away ;) ), and AFAIK I don't use any overseas proxies. I don't use any proxies.

Hope that helps. :)

I've seen another (possibly related) issue once in awhile, where a download finishes but the downloads panel never shows it as completed. The status bar is completely full, but doesn't disappear, and the file has in fact completely and successfully downloaded, but there was a hiccup somewhere and OmniWeb never became aware of this fact. So the downloads panel stays open (I've got mine set to disappear when no downloads are active), and that "stuck" download won't go away until I clear it manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie
Would it be useful if next time this happens, I grab the IP and send it?
Absolutely.

Stormchild, I get this one too: I've had it right through the SneakyPeeks, the betas and now the RC. I reported it during the SneakyPeek testing.

It doesn't stop anything happening, but it looks wrong, and you have to remove the window manually.

Mindflayer: I'll send the IP next time. I'm on Jabber: will access your IM via a transport. Ooh! I just noticed one can use the forum software instead. In that case, I wish more fora would list Jabber IDs. They list just about everything else.

Mindflayer, I just had the same experience with the new beta (5.5.1b1), getting only 2.5 MB out of 10.x MB, so I clicked on your ICQ symbol and sent that info and my IP. I hope you got it. Nothing happened when I sent the message, except I got an ICQ "search for people" page.

I'm about to try the alternative download link.

Note: the alternative download link worked first time.