The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

hierarchial tabs (maintabs /subtabs) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
That's what I'm seeing for the title now, and I verified it with the HTML source.

When I posted that, however, I saw a very different behavior. I had one tab open, and it started with "The Omni...xxx". I opened another forum thread tab in the background, and saw it open with the same title. Then, almost immediate, both tabs' titles changed to "xxx", but when I clicked on them, the window title was still "Omni...xxx".

I just checked another site and verified that the behavior is still present. Try going to macnn.com and command-clicking a couple of the news stories. Pay attention to the titles before and after, and check the titles after as you click between the tabs. I saw the same thing at eBay by opening several of the listings in a category in background tabs. I didn't verify eBay just now, but I'd be surprised if it's changed.

Thinking back, I've for a long time noticed out of the corner of my eye a flickering around tabs' titles and--I would have sworn--titles changing. I never had time to sit down and really see what was happening, however, and my sub-brain sort of attributed it to sites playing games with JavaScript. Perhaps it was this feature all along. But again, it's apparently not 100% reliable since I regularly run into tabs with the title issue, including on this forum before it was changed. (Seeing the problem periodically is perhaps why I never associated the behavior I thought I was seeing with the feature.)

But for Omni to go and quietly change the forum at a time like this--man, that's dirty. Talk about making you think you're crazy :-).

Last edited by Bob Williams; 2006-07-14 at 04:30 PM..

OmniWeb has been truncating tabs with the same title since version 5.0 IIRC. That is, if two tabs start with the same text, the title is truncated to only show any text that is unique.