The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Repeating, near-constant "sweeping up" tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this. It really should be obvious and easy... I suspect I'm just missing something.

I want to create a task that's almost always available, except when I've just completed it, and that has a due date. In this case, the task is, "dump BlackBerry tasks into Inbox". My BlackBerry (work-provided, don't hold it against me ;) is the only thing that I have with me 100% of the time, even more than pen and paper, so it tends to get random notes as I think of them throughout the day.

So, I created an action that repeated daily, started at 3pm the next day, and was due at midnight the next day. What I thought that would do was give me an action that I must do daily, and starts to yell at me (with an overdue) if I don't, but then once I do it, leaves me alone until the next afternoon.

That's what I thought it would do... instead, as soon as I click the checkbox, a next item gets created, with a start date of December 4th. (Why the 4th? Dunno. That was probably when I created the first action.) The due date is tonight at midnight. I click the checkbox, a new one, start of December 4th, end of midnight tonight, gets created. And so on and so on.

Yes, I wanted to play "whack-a-mole" with this action, but I did want a brief breather between the appearances of the mole... this isn't whack-a-mole, this is Sisyphus :)

Is it possible in OmniFocus to do what I want? Have an action, like vacuuming the apartment or brushing teeth or whatever, that can almost always be done, except when you just did it, and gets more and more insistent (i.e., becomes overdue) the longer it's been since you last did it?

I give up on trying to do it with the "Repeat" and "Dates" inspectors; they seem intuitive and obvious, but their behavior is actually quite arcane, isn't it?

Hey Trey,

I've run into the same problem.
I've submitted a bug about this, but Omni has yet to consider this a bug.

Here is a thread with this conversation:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5983a

The only workaround for this at the present is to change the repeating properties to repeat based on assigned date and not on completed date.

If you consider this a bug. Please report it to Omni using the send feedback from the OmniFocus application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Hey Trey,

I've run into the same problem.
I've submitted a bug about this, but Omni has yet to consider this a bug.

Here is a thread with this conversation:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5983a

The only workaround for this at the present is to change the repeating properties to repeat based on assigned date and not on completed date.

If you consider this a bug. Please report it to Omni using the send feedback from the OmniFocus application.
I don't understand... what's the bug? Is it that given this post: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...16&postcount=6, following the directions Mr. Case gives does not seem to actually work?

I have an item right now as described in the post above... when I click "completed", it immediately regenerates, no matter how many times I click completed. But what Mr. Case is saying, if I'm reading it right, is that it should wait until the next day.

But you say something about Omni not considering this a bug? Sorry, I'm generally confused. Is OmniFocus working as Omni intends in this case, or not? Hard for me to file a bug report or feature request when I don't even understand what I'm requesting :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
In this case, the task is, "dump BlackBerry tasks into Inbox". My BlackBerry (work-provided, don't hold it against me ;) is the only thing that I have with me 100% of the time, even more than pen and paper, so it tends to get random notes as I think of them throughout the day.
Hi Trey,

I have the same problem with my BlackBerry, whenever I need to take a note it's always there, while I seldom have a pen... What I use is the Mail rule, so instead of taking a note I send an email to myself, and I know that I am going to find it in my OF Inbox (or directly classed with a project, a context, and even start and due dates if I have time to type the information), without having to do anything manually. This never failed for me, and the extra steps are simply typing the recipient (I have created a fake contact called "todo" , so this is quite fast) and starting the subject with "--".

Quote:
Originally Posted by taglia View Post
Hi Trey,

I have the same problem with my BlackBerry...
I knew I shouldn't have used this as my example, because somebody would jump on the BlackBerry aspect... :)

It happened to be the action I was looking at. Yes, I know I can do other things with my BlackBerry. But I have several tasks like this. "Vacuum the apartment". "Clean out the recycling". "Input the paper receipts in my wallet into the accounting system".

My question wasn't how to get tasks from my BlackBerry into OmniFocus, my question was how to make repeating items that will bug me frequently, but not—quite—constantly. Right now, all I can seem to do is make items that regenerate the moment I complete them, or that have a long period of time between regenerations. ("Regeneration" means "availability", I know that the new item always gets created as soon as OmniFocus can do so, I'm speaking metaphorically here.)

I want to know how to make repeated actions available very shortly after I complete them, but not immediately, and have the due date close very quickly. Using "Repeat", "Start", and "Due" in a natural way causes very unexpected results. Following Mr. Case's suggestions in the other thread does not do what he said it would do, but SpiralOcean says that the fact it doesn't work that way is not a bug. So I'm wondering how you actually do this.

Trey,

If I'm understanding your need and OF's implementation, try this:

start date to today at 3pm
due date to tomorrow at 12am (or today at 11:59 pm, which is the minute before)
repeat to every 24 hours (NOT every 1 day) from assigned date

Repeating by hours, not days, should preserve time settings. Repeating by assigned date should keep the times from shifting if you complete the project early in its available window.

Hope that helps.

Curt

I have the same issue as Trey. I want certain tasks to become available at a certain time.

If the start date for "empty wallet" is today at 3:00pm and the repeat time is 24 hours, but I don't click it off until 8pm, the new start time would be tomorrow at 8pm.

The 24 hour trick doesn't seem to be working for me.

edit....

I'm actually clicking something off at 8:45, but the start time sets to 8pm. . . hmm. I'm confused.

Last edited by steve; 2007-12-06 at 07:49 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
If the start date for "empty wallet" is today at 3:00pm and the repeat time is 24 hours, but I don't click it off until 8pm, the new start time would be tomorrow at 8pm.
If you want it to repeat at the same time the next day regardless of when you finish it, set it to repeat from Assigned date, not Completion date.