The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's the best replacement for calendar syncing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I haven't seen anybody address what I primarily use iCal syncing for, but then I read kinda quick through all the posts.

I'm a freelance illustrator who frequently develops motion comics, and I use iCal syncing specifically for capturing and visualizing tasks without needing to have OF running. Rendering some of my video work and such means freeing up every chunk of RAM I can or face longer rendering times. Also, it's nice to have OF out of the way because when it's running, it can be just as addicting as being in my email all day futzing with stuff. (I know that's not OF's fault, but knowing it's always open is still incentive for bad GTD habits.) I'm surprised OF doesn't have this functionality already.

I'm not working on Snow Leopard yet, so maybe there are updates to get the Quick Entry Window without having OF active or activate afterward (which is why I don't like the Quicksilver script). I made an INBOX context which syncs with my default iCal calendar. Using FlexCal, I hit a few keys, capture my action, and then sync when I open OF for my evening review. Without context or project info, OF puts all the actions in the INBOX context straight into the actual inbox anyway.

In terms of visualization, I use iCalBuddy + GeekTool to display my calendar agenda above my synced next actions to my desktop so I can review all the things I should be doing throughout my day without having OF running. A scheduled sync would be nice, but since this isn't going to work with the future of CalDAV, I see why it's not implemented.

This is my two cents about OF calendar syncing since I'm a creative worker not necessarily a knowledge worker. OF is not very useful for visualizing or analyzing the progress made on my 'hard GTD landscape'. Even making contexts based on scheduled time periods (drawing, designing, etc.) or assigning estimated times to actions in OF makes absolutely no difference to me unless that translates into a visual component which I can assign compared to the rest of my time. If a task is going to take me more than 15 minutes, I don't even bother putting it in OF because it isn't useful to track using a list.

If OF doesn't want to implement some sort of calendar visualization, they could at the very least offer some progress status bars and countdown status bars next to projects and actions.

I think progress bars and countdown bars should work this way: When adding actions to a project, you have to assign an estimated time to the action (default of 2 mins. obviously). The total estimated time of all actions produces a visual progress bar which shows you how close you are to finished. This would let you see how and where to assign your time especially if you have only three actions left and a long way to go before you're finished.

These should work in conjunction with countdown bars. When you set a Project/Action Due Date, OF generates a status bar representing the time between start date to due date. It then fills/counts down as time goes on. Maybe starting by showing days, then scale to hours, or whatever. This would easily allow you to gauge how much you have left to do (progress bar) in how much time (countdown bar), and probably help you prioritize projects with more to do and less time to do it over small projects with far off due dates. If your progress bar is about as big as your countdown bar, it's crunch time. You could tell this at a glance. As it stands, OF doesn't give you an easy way to find a starting point without doing extraneous flagging, etc. All of which doesn't display on the desktop when synced with iCal.

If OF had those status bars, and I could display/capture without having the program running, that'd be a dream come true. I don't know if that kind of implementation would work very well for team GTD or not. That's just what I use syncing for, and what I'd like to see replace it.

In any case, I'll probably never switch from OF unless I absolutely have to because I've tried almost everything else, and I only trust OF to keep my GTD fu in good practice. That said, I'll toss my hat in the ring for BusyCal integration and CalDAV support also. (Loved BusyCal but more than I needed at the moment.)

I am really absent minded and muddled. To get around this, I use Geektool to embed important information straight to my desktop where I can't avoid seeing it - my calendar, my email inbox etc.

I prefer to sync to iCal as a way to embed the tasks I actually want to get done today into my desktop, where I can't avoid seeing them. That way, there's less chance I'll get sidetracked and distracted, and I might actually get them done.

There are scripts I can use to do this instead, but they're a bit clunky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Hello, everyone!

Please let me know, either here in this thread or by sending me direct email at kc@omnigroup.com.
I am seriously looking at getting OmniFocus. My indented use of the iCal synching was to keep OmniFocus in sync with my CRM app Daylite. However, they are in the same boat with the new CalDAV issue. So this is no longer possible through iCal/MobileMe. Now, if OmniFocus and Daylite were to be able to directly sync to each other, I would be VERY happy. I really like much of what Daylite does, but it's data presentation is a bit weak. I really like what I can do with OmniFocus. I'd love to use OmniFocus as the front end and yet have the items stored in Daylite as well so I have the linking functionality it provides.

stumbled upon these articles from the NYT: (forums rules require that I first make a post, before posting URLs, thus double post coming!)

This to me explains pretty clear why calendar syncing is for me personally essential to a to do list, thus I'd tend to not replace calendar syncing, but look for a new and better version of it.

my ten cents :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusule View Post
I am really absent minded and muddled. To get around this, I use Geektool to embed important information straight to my desktop where I can't avoid seeing it - my calendar, my email inbox etc.

I prefer to sync to iCal as a way to embed the tasks I actually want to get done today into my desktop, where I can't avoid seeing them. That way, there's less chance I'll get sidetracked and distracted, and I might actually get them done.

There are scripts I can use to do this instead, but they're a bit clunky.
Did you try Rob's script to populate GeekTool from OF? Script: custom OmniFocus action lists on the desktop, using Geektool

"Clunky" comes to mind for any solution involving syncing to iCal (which doesn't even happen automatically, and is thus not reliable for someone who claims to be absent-minded!), but not for the GeekTool script Rob provided. "Geeky", sure :-)

We'd like to be able to publish the Due reminders to Google calendars. Thanks.

Next week it will be 5 months since the first post in this thread. Nearly half a year. Has there been any progress of any kind on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa8184 View Post
Has there been any progress of any kind on this?
Yes, there has. They've gathered 86 customer opinions with new ones arriving as recently as this afternoon. Was anything else promised?

Grumpy Dave
That's not progress, that's fact finding. When I bought Omnifocus, there was (for my purposes) a good basic link to my calendar. This was an advertised feature.

I realise that Apple moved the goal posts by changing MobileMe, which is not Omni's fault. It became obvious when the beta of MobileMe calendar came out that there might be problems with this function, that was months before this thread started. Quite rightly the devs waited to see what the full release would bring and it was interesting to have the questionnaire to see how people were using this function.

However, in every project the fact finding has to come to an end at some point, and planning and action begins. (Or a declaration that no action will be taken and the reasons.) I was trying to find out where exactly things stood right now.

I don't understand why you are so prickly about my polite enquiry. Absolutely nothing has been promised. You are quite right. Nothing whatsoever. That is exactly my concern.

A key function (for me) no longer works. I would just like to know if there is an update on how Omni are viewing this problem.

I apologise if my original enquiry caused you offence for some reason.