The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project/SubProject Hierarchy in Context View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone,

I've been using OF for a while, but stubbed my toe trying to create a new set of tasks. One of those things where it seems someone has the answer to this already (or saw and dismissed the problem); my search didn't turn it up but I'd be happy if there's a way to solve this issue:

I need to create tasks are collections of identical tasks, for call lists.

Like:
Project: Correspondence
Bob
Call
Write
Check back - received note?
Sue
Call
Write
re-send note
Ted
Call
Write
You get the idea? The issue that I have is a minor one, but it's a bit of a pain. These tasks may or may not have different contexts, but in context view I don't see which sub-projects the tasks are part of. In other words, I see three "Call" tasks in the call context (and yes, they just say "Call" in "Correspondence"), but I don't see the sub-projects for the people involved. I have to have under Bob "Call Bob", "Write Bob", "Check back with Bob", etc. Although I don't mind creating the tasks/sub-tasks, it's a pain to not be able to see which sub-task the action is under in Context view.

(It seems like it's somewhat easier to have the upper-level task for each person, with the actions under that person, rather than duplicate the context - Call>Bob rather than Bob>Call, for example.)

I guess there are two possible answers to this. First, am I organizing this the right way? Second, is there a view option or some other method of getting the "hierarchy" of enclosing (sub-) tasks to show in Context mode? (Or am I missing something even more obvious :-)...

Thanks for any light you can shed on the topic.

We've got a feature request open on applying the "show full hierarchy" setting in General preferences to action groups - right now, it only applies to projects and contexts.

I don't have an ETA on when that might happen, but I'll attach you to the request in our development database so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see this added. (We try to give popular requests priority when planning our work.)

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that I'm also *very* interested in seeing this feature come to life.

I'm currently trialing OF and so far this seems like the one friction point I have with the software. I know that "Planning View" is supposed to be used for, well, planning, but I'm having to live in it since seeing a bunch of items named exactly the same, with no sense of the hierarchy that I created in Planning View, is completely useless to me in Context view.

Colin

I'm also very interested in this. I think displaying it in the same way the folder hierarchy is displayed in the project column would be a potential solution.