The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Download Error Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
SP 10. Sometimes downloads never start. No progress indicator was showed and only stats are visible (around 8kb downloaded). There is not a particular site or particular events (i think).

it should be usefull:
http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...magine16eb.png

thank you for omniweb :)

It's been brought up a few times, check the other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcom
SP 10. Sometimes downloads never start. No progress indicator was showed and only stats are visible (around 8kb downloaded). There is not a particular site or particular events (i think).
This bug is new as of SP10; I was not seeing it at all in prior SP releases.

It isn't site specific-sometimes the download does go through smoothly, but often not.

Cheers,
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.a.duke
This bug is new as of SP10; I was not seeing it at all in prior SP releases.

It isn't site specific-sometimes the download does go through smoothly, but often not.
In SP10 we fixed the problem where you click on a link that opens a new window, but then the content couldn't be displayed and was downloaded instead but you were still left with a blank window.

Unfortunately, the fix caused a new problem where closing the "empty" window would cancel the fetch (leaving the download at a few K and looking like it is still downloading but not actually getting anything).

We are working on the problem--probably the last thing before we release SP11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
In SP10 we fixed the problem where you click on a link that opens a new window, but then the content couldn't be displayed and was downloaded instead but you were still left with a blank window.

Unfortunately, the fix caused a new problem where closing the "empty" window would cancel the fetch (leaving the download at a few K and looking like it is still downloading but not actually getting anything).

We are working on the problem--probably the last thing before we release SP11.
In SP10, I'm noticing that when I click on some download links (only some, including _some_ links in NewsFire [RSS]), the download appears to start, but there is no dmg icon on the LHS, the download seems to stall at a few k, and most importantly, below the link address underneath the file list, in italic it says "this file was never saved", instead of the save location.

If I copy these links, then paste them directly into OW's address bar, the downloads occur normally.

At first I thought this was related to OW SP10's lack of creator information, which prevents it from working with essential (to me) apps. like URL Manager Pro and Web Confidential, but other links work fine from NewsFire, and this weird behaviour also happens to download links (which refer to other sites) clicked in OW itself.

Example: on the MacZOT site, click on the Try button for today's Zot, Paparazzi.
http://www.maczot.com/

The Zot can change each day, so this may not work after today. Other Try and Download links from MacZOT have worked fine.

I hope this is useful. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie
In SP10 <snip>
If I copy these links, then paste them directly into OW's address bar, the downloads occur normally.
<snip>

I hope this is useful. :)
Yes, thank you very much, that was useful as I just hit the same problems, although IIRC, not immediately from beginning to use SP10.

You can avoid the problem if you initiate downloads by selecting the Download link option from the contextual menu. No need to cut and paste anything.

Thanks for the tip, but why is this happening at all? Do we know yet?

check post #5 above.