The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mac App Store Frequently Asked Questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think that separate names would be WAY more confusing for people than simply having it in the app store and via OG's web site. If you needed something for your home and went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and also saw it on Amazon's web site under a slightly different name, would you be confused? I would.

FWIW, it looks as if the the AppStore version of OmniFocus is unable to run a number of scripts on these forums which the non-AppStore version is able to run without any problem.

This is because its seems that the AppStore versions may have a different "bundle identifier", e.g.
com.omnigroup.omniplan.MacAppStore
rather than
com.omnigroup.omniplan
If this is the general pattern with AppStore versions then the form of reference to applications which Apple has recommended since OS X 10.5 will not be transferable between shelf and AppStore versions of Omni products

Code:
tell application id "com.omnigroup.omniplan"

end tell
might have to be edited to something like:

Code:
tell application id "com.omnigroup.omniplan.macappstore"

end tell
Unless the 4-letter creator codes for an app also now vary between directly purchased and Appstore versions of Omni apps, the simplest and most durable edit might be to replace the long bundle identifiers with the short creator codes, which Applescript will also recognise.

Thus

Code:
tell application id "OFOC" -- OmniFocus
tell application id "OOut" -- OmniOutliner
tell application id "OPla" -- OmniPlan
tell application id "OGfl" -- OmniGraffle
etc.

Creator codes can be discovered by running a snippet like:
Code:
tell application id "sevs"
	creator type of (application processes where name contains "Omni")
end tell
(Where sevs is the creator code for "System Events", otherwise known as "com.apple.systemevents")

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-06-27 at 06:37 AM..

In addition, existing applescripts which query the cache or modify defaults preferences will not run (without modification) on copies of OmniFocus purchased through the Mac App Store, even if they use a defensive form like

Code:
tell application id "OFOC"
For a hack which should usually enable the AppStore variant of OmniFocus to run such scripts, see this post.

For reference, two related posts:
Network externalities: Appstore-bought OF is worth less

FAQ: Enabling App-Store versions to use existing scripts and hints

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-07-03 at 04:47 AM..

the part where you lose all the flexibility of the Omni store (upgrade and educational discounts, sneaky peeks, etc.) would be a substantial loss to both Omni and its customers

So I just bought OmniOutliner tonight from the App store, and with what you said about upgrade pricing, I think I made the wrong decision. Any way to reverse that? When you move to version 4, I'd rather not buy it all again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
So I just bought OmniOutliner tonight from the App store, and with what you said about upgrade pricing, I think I made the wrong decision. Any way to reverse that? When you move to version 4, I'd rather not buy it all again.
Not to worry, you won't have to lay out any more cash:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...78&postcount=3

I purchased OmniFocus after finding it in the App Store today, but I'd like to use it in English, rather than the default language on my desktop (Japanese). After searching the forums here I found the English-only version on your website, but after downloading it I realized it would require a license key and wouldn't recognize my previous purchase from Apple...any workarounds for this problem?

someguy2012: You shouldn't actually need the English-only version. You can just tell the system that you prefer to run this app in English.

1. Quit OmniFocus
2. Open the Terminal app from Applications/Utilities
3. Paste in the following command:
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.MacAppStore AppleLanguages '("en-US")'
4. Press return.
5. Launch OmniFocus

If that doesn't work, or you have any other questions, our Support Ninjas are happy to help: 800 315-6664 or +1 206-523-4152 or omnifocus@omnigroup.com

Last edited by Lizard; 2012-07-26 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: gave French command instead of English!

That worked perfectly! Thanks for your help.