The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Potential new user question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I'm thinking of moving from RTM to Omnifocus and starting with the new iPhone app before considering the iPad and Mac versions.

Can I ask whether anyone is using the new version on an iPhone 4 and do they find the performance usable. I know the iPhone 4 is struggling a little with iOS 7 and the recent update has improved things no end, but I do not want to buy the app only to find it is unusable with Omnifocus 2 for the iPhone.

Thank you for your help

Ian

I’m sure it’s a lot faster on more recent phones, but I use omnifocus with a pretty substantial database on an iPhone 4.

But: it is not nearly as easy to adjust your task outline on the iPhone vs. on the Mac. You might want to consider downloading the mac trial at least.

OmniFocus 2 for iPhone is part of the OmniFocus ecosystem for me.

I do a lot of planning and editing on the Mac version. Then it is easy to sync with Omni Sync Services to OF2 for iPhone or OF for iPad.

I use the iPhone version when I am not at the office. This includes running around from meeting to meeting, office to office, or out on errands. If I need to quickly capture something on the go, I can easily whip out the iPhone and enter it into OF2 for iPhone.

I also use OF for iPad when I don't have my Mac. But I can do some project reviews and planning when I am on-the-go. Its larger screen format gives me the luxury of doing things with OmniFocus that will feel small and cramped in the iPhone version.

You don't necessarily need to have all three versions but it makes for a great trio.

Get OF2 for iPhone if you have to be away from your Mac a lot and need your task and project lists with you. It is also perfect for capturing when you're on-the-go.

Get OF for iPad if you are also away from your Mac but need to do some more project and task planning.

Get OF for Mac if you are desk-bound and near your Mac a lot.

Thank you your help and suggestions. Normally I would jump right in and buy the other apps to make the suite, but in this case I am holding back as I've been unable to ascertain just how much usage I would get before they are upgraded and feel compelled to buy new versions.

Without any loose commitment of a date or any promise to a reduced upgrade price for anyone who recently purchased I'm not sure of the best way to go.

As mentioned in our blog post when we first debuted OmniFocus (http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/debut-of-omnifocus-2),

What if I don’t own OmniFocus already? What should I buy today, and where should I buy it?

From now on, anyone who purchases OmniFocus 1 from our online store will receive a free upgrade to the Professional edition of OmniFocus 2 when it ships.

@Lizard - Thank you, that is encouraging, I wonder why the support desk did not mention that in their response to my question about future proofing.

Can I please be clear, is Omnifocus 1 both the Mac and iPad versions or just the Mac? Both would be a tremendous answer.

By the way I've purchased and made a start with version 2 on my iPhone 4, so far so good ��

You can buy OF1 for Mac now and you'll get a free update to OF2 Pro for Mac.

You might want to wait on OmniFocus for iPad. You'll get version 1 now. But a version 2 will probably be a separate offering that you might have to pay for again. It has something to do with Apple iTunes Store policies where companies just can't offer upgrades. We're all gonna have to buy OmniFocus 2 for iPad in the future.

The Omni blog states that they will release OF2 for Mac in June. Then they'll get busy with working on OF2 for iPad. We can only guess at the timeline but probably see OF2 for iPad sometime around Christmas possibly?