The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love software that eases you into the process. Especially, in a piece of software like this, where the software is a means of implementing a practice, it's important to get new user scenarios right.

I struggled with GTD more than necessary because I didn't know what my contexts should be. It took months. "Computer, Home, Work, Email" are not contexts for me. They're all true almost all the time.

So, my suggestion is that OmniFocus comes with an "interview process" that helps you get started with a pre-defined set of contexts. Maybe it's an occupation based system. (E.g. I work in sales, I work in software engineering, I work in product management). Or a time-available, energy-available system (my current contexts are MorningTasks - short and sweet-, AfternoonTasks - meaty, Evening Tasks - learning oriented, and OutOfOfficeTasks - big uninterrupted thoughts).

An alternative would be to define importable/exportable/shareable "ContextSets" that the community can work out, that can be published in forums, wikis, etc. So that it's easy to try how others get organized.

And make sure contexts, projects and everything are easy to change.

I always worry about kGTD and adding or deleting things.

BZ

Contexts are something that develop, that's the key really.

It's a bit of a voyage of self-discovery, just how do I work?

It's not just the physical location....

....it's the mindset I find myself in...

Or...the tools I have to hand...

Or... the parts of me that are diminishing

Or... the parts of me that are growing...

My Contexts are alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaparicio
An alternative would be to define importable/exportable/shareable "ContextSets" that the community can work out, that can be published in forums, wikis, etc. So that it's easy to try how others get organized.
That is a truly wonderful idea. If I could see 5 or 6 examples from people in similar situations to myself. I'm sure I could come up with my own ideal set.

I'm with BwanaZulia on keeping it flexible... as Far as ContextSets or ContexWizards go.... I think we shoud leave the "education" aspect up to Merlin... we gotta leave him something to blog about.

I agree about keeping things flexible. For me having multiple, thoughtful examples helps me understand the range of possibilities faster than anything else. Much better than help files explaining each menu item. Wizards no, but sets yes.