The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interruptions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can Omnifocus help me deal with interruptions?

As we grow at work, more of my responsibilities consist of being available for others who would otherwise be blocked from proceeding.

So they come into my office, and interrupt me. Most interruptions are good, they help them help me.

Some need to be postponed.

But the main problem with interruptions is that they take me out of what I was doing, and getting back in has a high overhead (for me it's about 10 - 15 minutes). Could OmniFocus:

* Ask me what I'm working on on a set schedule (e.g. every 30 minutes)
* Detect inactivity (e.g. I stop typing / mousing), and ask me after a few minutes "So, you' were working on ... still working on it?"
* Display in a simplified "Widget" my highest priorities (things that are due soon, things that block others)

How do you deal with interruptions?

I think virtual desktops can be one tool that helps if you are at a computer a great amount of the time. If so, you can simply switch to a different desktop to address your interruption.

Another tool that can be helpful is Relaunch ($5). It snapshots your window positions and even your open documents (in some popular programs). Though it has utility beyond just interruption switching, the ability to manage interruptions by snapshoting what you were working on and opening a snapshot for another task/project quickly can be a big help.

http://wiredupandfiredup.co.uk/Relaunch/

I'd love to see OmniFu automatically disable the internet, incoming emails or other distracting programmes whenever certain critical documents (aliased, not stored, btw) are being worked on. We could have a 'No distractions' button (or setting) that would work analogous to the door lock (keeping honest men honest) and keep us working while we work.

If there could also be an option to time preset dashes (a la Merlin's (10+2)*5 or our own concoctions) and then have an email sorting session at the end of the hour, that would be cool too.

Again - working at the business end of GTD - this facility would add weight to the name OmniFocus. Bah.