The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

We need an update!! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You may want to look again. Try the latest version. Inbox is starting to work.
ganesh

Inbox is still far to feature-free and restrictive for day-to-day use, as far as I can see. It does not interact with any but a few default applications, and is still rather buggy. I think it is the wrong approach -- top-down rather than bottom-up.

Sure, inbox still has to mature. Have you looked at the two introduction movies on their website? I am watching the development and discussions around inbox closely:
http://groups.google.com/group/inboxbeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh
ganesh
Thanks ganesh. I took another look, watched the first movie, got frustrated with Inbox, quit the program, and got things done without it.
I spent more time trying to use Inbox than I did actually getting things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh
ganesh
I've kept wanting to like Inbox, I keep coming back to it, but no - it's just not there. It crashes a lot on me. A few days ago I was just reading its help page and it crashed (went away). On and on.

Aside from the crashes, the deal breakers for me are
1) Documentation is so bad, I don't know how to use it (I've watched the videos). Many others complain of the same thing in their forum.

2) I can't find a way to see what needs to be done today. Instead I get a list of every task in the Organize section. If I attach a due date to a task, the date doesn't show up in the Organize section, unless I open the info panel. The Review section is undocumented (the help page is useless - for example, it tells me the Daily and Weekly reviews help keep me calm, but offer no help as to what they are for). I have tasks due today, but they don't appear in the Daily review.

3) It can get todos from iCal but it can't write new ones to iCal. And the todos it does get from iCal, it doesn't get the due dates. I have to re-enter them.

Having used it off and on for over a week, all I can do is enter new notes, then assign them to projects. It very nicely imports all my emails and iCal todos, and I can then assign them to projects as well. That's it! With many projects and tasks listed in the Organize section - I feel this is a glorified to do list, not GTD.

Last edited by pvonk; 2006-12-18 at 01:12 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk
1) Documentation is so bad, I don't know how to use it (I've watched the videos). Many others complain of the same thing in their forum.
I can't agree more on this. I too have tried to like Inbox, but could not understand how.. It's way too restrictive. I found myself trying to click on things having nothing happen at all - just because I did not do it the Inbox way (which only Midnight knows of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk
Having used it off and on for over a week, all I can do is enter new notes, then assign them to projects. It very nicely imports all my emails and iCal todos, and I can then assign them to projects as well. That's it! With many projects and tasks listed in the Organize section - I feel this is a glorified to do list, not GTD.
Exactly! Things go in perfectly... but I found it impossible to do anything with them -- organize, process properly, reorder, store, move etc.