The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't Open OmniGraffle Mac files on iPad (includes "Dream Setup!) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been an avid OmniGraffle fan on iPad for some time. In a new leadership role at a startup, we are Mac vs. PC centric. So Iinstalled my two Thunderbolt Displays and Intuos Wireless tablet and decided to give the Mac version of OmniGraffle a shot as a primary creative tool (bought years ago primarily to convert iPad sourced files for my PC centric client) .

The combination of OmniGroup, Apple, and Wacom technologies and high resolution screen real estate was tranformational!!! Once you program the Intuos Tablet for OmniGraffle the creative/concept development/capture process is the best I've experienced (including high end $$$ CAD systems).

After spending more time than I should admit capturing key concepts for our new companies product architecture, I sent copies to our development team (who all use iPads) to review.

None of us can open the Mac File. It was originally created on the IPad, emailed, opened on the Mac with no issues and extensively revised.

Error Message is:

"Unable to open file.
OmniGraffle cannot open this type of file"

I've tried direct OmniGraffle format as well as exporting into both alternate package formats. iPad is recognizing all as Omnigraffle and I'm opening the file in same. I've even tried opening the files in FastZip etc.

The contents of the file are Company Confidential so I cant post/share.

Any suggestions on what process I should be following, constraints/restrictions/limits when going from Mac to iPad, or troubleshooting tips to find and correct Root Cause?

What happens if you use iTunes to directly deposit the file in OmniGraffle on the iPad? Cable up the iPad to the Mac, launch iTunes, select the iPad in the devices list, select Apps, scroll to the bottom of the page, select OmniGraffle in the list of apps supporting File Sharing, then click the Add... button and select your document. After it has copied the document to the iPad, launch OmniGraffle on the iPad and see how it reacts. Does it draw a preview for the document? Will it open the document?

It would be interesting to know if you can get the file to load if you delete most of the objects (try this on a copy, obviously!), which might suggest a memory limitation of some sort. Which versions of the apps are you using? Are you able to make a new document on the iPad, send it to the Mac, make some changes, and get it to load on the iPad? If you can't get it to work at all, that's probably a different sort of problem.

If you use Help->Send Feedback in OmniGraffle on the Mac, there's an option to convert all text in the document to gibberish to protect confidential information (assuming that the confidential information is textual, of course).

If you haven't gotten it working by Tuesday, you should call up the Omni support folks and get their assistance. 800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152 during normal business hours in Seattle. Posting here is not the same as contacting them...

Tested after ios upgrade today, and although it crashes multiple times when the document is initially opened from email as it is rendered in the file directory, I can eventually launch Omnigraffle on the iPad and then access/edit the document.

Do be sure to contact the Omni support ninjas. I'm sure they'll be interested in retrieving your crash logs for analysis, even if you can't supply the documents that triggered the crashes.